Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

danextian
Super User
Super User

Above Top N

Hi All,

I'm trying to create a measure that will show the amount of those not included in top 5. 

I got this formula from the web 

Top5 = 
calculate([calc measure],TOPN(6,'table',[calc measure]))

If this formula showed the correct value, then I would have used [calc measure]-top5 to show top 6 and up.
Comparing the result with a visual that shows just the top 5 and manually summing up their values, the top5 measure always has a higher value. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

1) Specify the column (top 5 what?) in the TOPN

Top 5 Measure = CALCULATE ( [Total Measure], TOPN ( 5, ALL ( Table[Column] ), [Total Measure] ) )

You can then subtract the above Measure from a Total Measure (one that produces overall total)

All Less Top 5 = [Total Measure] - [Top 5 Measure]

2) Alternatively you can get the same result using RANKX instead (again specify what you are ranking)

Rank Measure = RANKX ( ALL ( Table[Column] ), [Total Measure] )

Then the new Measure would look like this

All Less Top 5 = CALCULATE ( [Total Measure], FILTER ( ALL ( Table[Column] ), [Rank Measure] > 5 ) )

Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

1) Specify the column (top 5 what?) in the TOPN

Top 5 Measure = CALCULATE ( [Total Measure], TOPN ( 5, ALL ( Table[Column] ), [Total Measure] ) )

You can then subtract the above Measure from a Total Measure (one that produces overall total)

All Less Top 5 = [Total Measure] - [Top 5 Measure]

2) Alternatively you can get the same result using RANKX instead (again specify what you are ranking)

Rank Measure = RANKX ( ALL ( Table[Column] ), [Total Measure] )

Then the new Measure would look like this

All Less Top 5 = CALCULATE ( [Total Measure], FILTER ( ALL ( Table[Column] ), [Rank Measure] > 5 ) )

Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Hi @Sean,

Thanks! Your second alternative works for me. I wonder though why the first one doesn't.

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ya, @Sean noticed the important missing ALL( ) !    As soon as you split your measure out ... it's evaluating each column 1 at a time.  So, the data only has the 1 column of data, and you are saying "Am I in the top 5, of this... set of 1?"  and of course you are.

With the ALL( ) you are now saying "am I in the top 5 in the set of ALL values?" which makes entirely more sense 🙂

Just offering a variation on the excellent solution already presented.

The EXCEPT function is also useful for taking the complement of a set of values:

All Less Top 5 with EXCEPT =
CALCULATE (
    [Total Measure],
    EXCEPT (
        ALL ( Table[Column] ),
        TOPN ( 5, ALL ( Table[Column] ), [Rank Measure] )
    )
)

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@OwenAugerI have in fact seen you use EXCEPT in other posts (so I should have thought of this also) Smiley Happy
The only thing I noticed - the TOP 5 should be based on the Total Measure not the Rank Measure

All Less Top 5 with EXCEPT =
CALCULATE (
    [Total Measure],
    EXCEPT (
        ALL ( Table[Column] ),
        TOPN ( 5, ALL ( Table[Column] ), [Total Measure] )
    )
)

Great job as always! Smiley Happy

@Sean

Oops yes - I had mis-interpreted what those measures represented!

I assumed Rank Measure was used for ranking and then the calculation itself used the Total Measure.

Good job yourself - cheers 🙂

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is so boss.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Top5 = 
calculate([calc measure],TOPN(6,'table',[calc measure]))

Not sure if the "6" was on purpose?  I would expect a 5... for the Top 5 🙂

Other than that... the measure looks correct to me, and will evalate [calc measure], when table is filtered to just include the top 5/6, ordered by [calc measure].   (So, if [calc measure] is SUM('table'[value]), Top5 will return the total sum of values 1-5).

@Anonymous my bad, typo error.

Anyway, the first image below is of a visual with top N visual filter. The second one, is DAX TopN. As you can see, the second one has an extra column. The weird thing is that no matter how many times i change the DAX N value for the second visual, it remains the same.

top.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.