Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jhd
Helper I
Helper I

Abbreviate values in the axis of visualization

I am using visualizations like bar charts to show the sales of our products. Some of the product names are long, which reduces the space for the bars and makes the visual look rather ugly. 

An alternative I have is to use the product ID which has a fixed length, but they aren't instantly recognisable to the user.

Is there a way to automatically shorten the length of the values in the axis, perhaps to something like 

Fabric So... (for Fabric Softener) or

Washing P... (for Washing Powder)

but the full name can be revealed by hovering over the name in the axis or the relevant part of the visualization?

Thanks, James

3 REPLIES 3
JoyCornerstone
Resolver II
Resolver II

Add a column that is the abbreviated version you want to show and use that on your graph. THEN, add a tooltip to the graph so that on the hover, the full name will show up.  

Thanks @JoyCornerstone  that's a good workaround. Unfortunately I have thousands of products and the first part of each name is not always unique. Adding the abreviated name to a chart may result in multiple products being adding together if they do not have unique abreviations.

Yep...that would be a problem.  Smiley Frustrated  

As far as I have seen, there is no way to force the data labels to abbreviate to some specific length.  You COULD think about using the abbreviation and appending the Product ID to it - and the visualization will automatically trim values if they are super long. But that's all I've got.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.