Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sdw
Frequent Visitor

AWS Glue Client Error connecting to Athena via ODBC

I've successfully connected to Athena via the DSN I created in the ODBC Administrator, I'm even able to connect Power BI to it, but I'm unable to get any deeper than:

let
    Source = Odbc.DataSource("dsn=AWSAthenaConnect", [HierarchicalNavigation=true])
in
    Source

Trying to access tables/schemas returns the below error in the query editor:

DataSource.Error: ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [Simba][Athena] (1041) An error has been thrown from the AWS Glue client. Athena Error No: 15, HTTP Response Code: 400, Exception Name: AccessDeniedException, Error Message: User: arn:aws:iam::xxxxxxxxxxxx:user/XXX_XXX_XXXX_XXXX is not authorized to perform: glue:GetTables on resource: arn:aws:glue:xxxregionxxx:XXXXXXXXXXXX:database/default

Guessing since I'm able to successfully connect, "AccessDeniedException" =  a configuration setting on the AWS side (possibly restricting access to ODBC connections?), but I'm not certain.  I've thought about trying to connect to tables in Athena via a different ODBC connection tool (other than Power BI) to prove this is not a Power BI issue, but I'm unsure what tool I could potentially even use (everything else I've seen is a JDBC tool).  Uncertain what else could cause this error after establishing the initial connection, or how to further troubleshoot.

I don't have admin access to Athena, but might be able to convince admins to take a look at their config if I could point them to exactly the right place.

Any suggestions welcome.  Thank you.

Steve

2 REPLIES 2
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @sdw 

You may refer to this blog:

https://medium.com/openlink-odbc-jdbc-ado-net-data-access-drivers/athena-powerbi-odbc-mt-2768d300799...

If you only have still have this issue, I would suggest you create a support ticket here.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Lin,

I had come across that option in my searches, but have also seen others on the forum have success with connecting to Athena using ODBC, and was really hoping I didn't need to use a bridge since I already had an official AWS ODBC driver.  Support ticket will be likely my next solution.

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.