cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
sdw Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

AWS Glue Client Error connecting to Athena via ODBC

I've successfully connected to Athena via the DSN I created in the ODBC Administrator, I'm even able to connect Power BI to it, but I'm unable to get any deeper than:

let
    Source = Odbc.DataSource("dsn=AWSAthenaConnect", [HierarchicalNavigation=true])
in
    Source

Trying to access tables/schemas returns the below error in the query editor:

DataSource.Error: ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [Simba][Athena] (1041) An error has been thrown from the AWS Glue client. Athena Error No: 15, HTTP Response Code: 400, Exception Name: AccessDeniedException, Error Message: User: arn:aws:iam::xxxxxxxxxxxx:user/XXX_XXX_XXXX_XXXX is not authorized to perform: glue:GetTables on resource: arn:aws:glue:xxxregionxxx:XXXXXXXXXXXX:database/default

Guessing since I'm able to successfully connect, "AccessDeniedException" =  a configuration setting on the AWS side (possibly restricting access to ODBC connections?), but I'm not certain.  I've thought about trying to connect to tables in Athena via a different ODBC connection tool (other than Power BI) to prove this is not a Power BI issue, but I'm unsure what tool I could potentially even use (everything else I've seen is a JDBC tool).  Uncertain what else could cause this error after establishing the initial connection, or how to further troubleshoot.

I don't have admin access to Athena, but might be able to convince admins to take a look at their config if I could point them to exactly the right place.

Any suggestions welcome.  Thank you.

Steve

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: AWS Glue Client Error connecting to Athena via ODBC

hi, @sdw 

You may refer to this blog:

https://medium.com/openlink-odbc-jdbc-ado-net-data-access-drivers/athena-powerbi-odbc-mt-2768d300799...

If you only have still have this issue, I would suggest you create a support ticket here.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
sdw Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: AWS Glue Client Error connecting to Athena via ODBC

Thanks Lin,

I had come across that option in my searches, but have also seen others on the forum have success with connecting to Athena using ODBC, and was really hoping I didn't need to use a bridge since I already had an official AWS ODBC driver.  Support ticket will be likely my next solution.

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Badges

Incoming: New and Improved Badges

Exciting news: We've given our badges an overhaul and added brand news ones.

Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 338 members 3,529 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: