Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

API structure in Power BI not changing

I'm using an internal API to populate the data in my report. I'm having issues refreshing the data. If I add or delete a column to my report it is reflected in the API but not in Power BI. I did some research and found a post that suggested changing the number of columns in the advanced editor. Unfortunately I cannot do that (because of the way the developers on our team structured the API). Below is the online example I found, and then NSS is the way that my advanced editor is loading the API data.

I'm looking for ideas/suggestions on how to load or manipulate the queries so that the data in Power BI will always accurately reflect the API (specifically when adding or deleting columns). Thanks!

Example.JPG

1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

AFAIK, power query table will cache table structure in query steps. They can't dynamic changed based on previous steps, so you need to manually fix them if any changes applied on datasource side.

In my opinion, you can consider to send columns list on api side, then you can use this list in table format step.

BTW, can you confirm web connector received csv file? If this a case, you can package web.contents function with csv.document function codes.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.