Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jcawley
Helper III
Helper III

API Assistance!

Good morning everyone,

I am trying to get a table of purchases edited on a given day with their associated details. It consists of three API’s, of which I’m having trouble on two. So first off, I’m trying to create the following table:

desired table.JPG

Using these three API's and their following structure:

model.JPG

Now for the blue portion (Purchase IDs), I'm having trouble getting the API data to populate in my query. I posted earlier and was told that I need to use the List functions to have my elements populate. I think I need List.Distinct, but I’m not sure where to plug that function into!

So far for blue, I'm using this function:

cap5.JPG

And this table:

cap3.JPG

And for Orange, everything is working fine but I have only had success using manual parameters. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

8 REPLIES 8
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@jcawley not sure what was told before and in what context. That is the starting problem here. Without looking at things, it is very hard to recommend the next steps, we can have a Teams/Zoom meeting to look into it. You can reach directly to me via email (it is in my signature).

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Yes, I would very much appreciate it!

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@jcawley So my question is, were you able to achieve this much what I mentioned in the previous reply or not?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

No, I have not achieved that yet  I'm having trouble getting the Purchase ID (blue) API data to populate in my query. I posted earlier and was told that I need to use the List functions to have my elements populate. I think I need List.Distinct, but I’m not sure where to plug that function into! I showed what function and table I have for blue in my post but it isn't working yet. 

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@jcawley So I guess this is what you are doing, calling the first function, expanding it into rows and so at this point you have a list of all purchase ids and then adding a custom column, and calling 2nd function and passing purchase id as a parameter, so after this, you expand this new custom column and you get more information.

So at this point, you have purchase ids with other columns (from 2nd function), let's make sure if we are in alignment unit this part.

Yes! That is the goal! 

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@jcawley sorry bit confused how you are calling the functions:

- so first function get all the purchases

- 2nd function pass parameter purchase if and get other details like left and type id

- 3rd function pass parameter to get the details

is this how it suppose to work?

Yes! The first function gathers all of the purchase IDs, the second should use those IDs to gather more information, and the third gathers more information still!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.