Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LucienF38
Helper I
Helper I

ADD NEW MONTHLY ROWS FROM EXCEL FILE

Dear all,

I have a table imported from excel into PBI.

Every month I add new rows in my excel file under the existing rows (If it is easier, in can enter this data in a new sheet instead of putting it under the existing data).

Is it possible to add these new rows only under the ones already in PBI, and then it would refresh the visualization taking into account this new data? If yes, how ?

Next step is to make a automatic refresh each month, is this possible ?

Thanks for helping 🙂 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@LucienF38  what is the purpose of having the new lines separate, if you just add it intot the file you have already it will automatically bring through all those rows when you refresh. 

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Hello @LucienF38 

When you say it is imported from Excel you mean, in PowerBI Desktop you went through Get Data > Excel > your file.  So under Data source settings (Home > Edit Queries > Data Source Settings) you see the excel file.

DataSource.jpg

If so, when you add new data to the excel file, when you hit refresh in PowerBI Desktop it will pull in the new data.  If you publish the report to the service, you will need a gateway that has access to the location of the excel file but then you can configure the dataset to refresh automatically and the report will pull everything from the excel file.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Hello @LucienF38 

When you say it is imported from Excel you mean, in PowerBI Desktop you went through Get Data > Excel > your file.  So under Data source settings (Home > Edit Queries > Data Source Settings) you see the excel file.

DataSource.jpg

If so, when you add new data to the excel file, when you hit refresh in PowerBI Desktop it will pull in the new data.  If you publish the report to the service, you will need a gateway that has access to the location of the excel file but then you can configure the dataset to refresh automatically and the report will pull everything from the excel file.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem

@jdbuchanan71 , Thank you for the second question 🙂 

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@LucienF38  what is the purpose of having the new lines separate, if you just add it intot the file you have already it will automatically bring through all those rows when you refresh. 

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

@vanessafvg , Thank you, I didn't know refresh was working from an Excel file ! 

Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@LucienF38 

Hi, in Query Editor, you can load the sheets and apply an Append.

Regards

Victor

Lima - Peru

Hi @Vvelarde ,

Thanks for your answer. 

So you recommend not to add my lines under my main file but in a different sheet ? 

Also, do you have any idea on making it automatic ? Maybe I would need to upload my files in a sharepoint and then code something into PBI?

Thanks 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.