Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Trudgeon
Helper III
Helper III

A single value cannot be determined for a measure

Hello,

I'm trying to create a measure, but am getting the "single value cannot be determined" error.  I successfully created this a calculated column, but hope to use a measure instead.

I'm trying to break out amounts by transaction type.  In this example, I want a measure that returns only "forecast" transaction amounts...

Forecast =

IF ('SALES_TABLE'[TRANSACTION_TYPE] = "FORECAST",

'SALES_TABLE'[AMOUNT],

0)

Breaking out amounts by transaction type would allow me to populate a Power BI table as follows...

Measure.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Drag Customer to the Row labels and Transaction type to the column labels.  Write this measure

=CALCULATE(SUM(Data[Amount]),FILTER(Data,Data[Transaction Type]="Forecast"))

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Trudgeon

If you just want to transform your column to measure you could try this formula

Measure = CALCULATE(SUM(SALES_TABLE[Amount]),FILTER(SALES_TABLE,SALES_TABLE[TRANSACTION_TYPE]="FORECAST"))+0

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Why wouldn't you just put the transaction type as a column in a matrix?

My example is a simplistic version of what I'm actually needing it for.  Just wanted to lay out the goal of a measure in a very basic fashion.  The reasons I would like to be able to have "transaction type" measures include...

(1) To use the Actual and Forecast numbers to then calculate Variance and Variance % in a table/matrix format...

Capture.PNG

(2) To have the ability to create synthetic transaction types without grouping (eg, using Open Orders twice in the same chart)...

Capture2.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.