Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Vegard1985
Helper I
Helper I

A mix between RLS and OLS?

Hi,

I couldn't find a similar post, so I'll check my luck and ask you guys.

With the introduction to Object-Level Security, could there in any way be possible to set up a security that sort of is a mix of RLS and OLS?

Example we would really like to implement:

In a company/group there are business units. Lets say we want to set up a role for all the different Business Units.

We want all business units to see each others Net Sales, but they can only see their own business units Gross Profit. Is this possible?

Thanks for your ideas and thoughts!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Vegard1985 , 

Yes, that's a bit painful. Unfortunatley, for now I don't think we have other options here. 

If this helps, Appreciate your KUDOS!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
gyumike

How about this solution from a youtube video ?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hxpHf-rGHo&t=1s

Vegard1985
Helper I
Helper I

Ah, really?

Wouldn't that make sense, to atleast make a person only see specific rows and spesific columns in the same table?

I know my original question is a bit different, as I would like a person to see all rows, but only parts of a column.  That it's not even possible to filter both rows and columns in the same table in the same time surprises me a bit.

Edit:

Actually, that seems to work. Setting up an RLS-role, and adding an OLS column specific filter on that RLS-role works fine. The role can only see the intended rows and intended columns.

But ok, I guess my original question still remains a difficult task as of now..

@Vegard1985 , 

Actaully OLS is not fully developed on Power BI Desktop, for now we are using External tools like Tabular Editor or XMLA endpoints to make RLS whereas RLS can be developed on Power BI dekstop. 

Yeah, I'm using Tabular Editor for the OLS part. So I created an RLS role with a filter on a "Business Unit", and also set up "None" on a Gross Profit column. While viewing as that role, both RLS and OLS seems to be correct. But yes, this means that every combination of RLS and OLS relevant security would have to be set up, which is a bit painful.. 

I would definitely not cut and hack into the fact table to create dimensional measures or anything like that, the performance would degrade too much in my case. Unless there's any ideas that could work 😞

@Vegard1985 , 

Yes, that's a bit painful. Unfortunatley, for now I don't think we have other options here. 

manikumar34
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@Vegard1985 , 

RLS and OLS cannot be combined on the same object.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/analysis-services/tabular-models/object-level-security?view=asallpr...

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Vegard1985 , As far as I remember, both do not work on the same object.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.