Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

douglasmarc
Frequent Visitor

A filled map of the world showing England, Scotland and Wales as separate Regions

I'm trying to create a filled map of all the countries of the world but showing Scotland, Wales and England as separate regions. I can only show them currently as the United Kingdom but the data I have is specific to each individually. Is there a way I can overcome this and show the data properly?

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@douglasmarc

Filled map can only show the location data with same level. Here you have a column with country data, so the filled map will show Scotland, Wales and England as United Kingdom. To show them as separate regions, you need to put them into a State column, but all the other location data will also be recognized as state.

It is not possible to show country level and state level at the same time.

Following two articles introduce us how Filled map works.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-tutorial-filled-maps-choropleths/

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-tips-and-tricks-for-power-bi-map-v...

Best Regards,

Herbert

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@douglasmarc

“Color saturation” should be able to make each region more clear.

A filled map of the world showing England, Scotland and Wales as separate Regions_1.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

If you change your Data from England to England,United Kingdom. This should fix the issue

All the best,

Sean

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Tag your column with England, Scotland and Wales in it as "State or Province" for your "Data Category" on your Modeling tab.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks for the help, it's working but only for states now, the other countries globally have been removed. Georgia the country is now showing up as Georgia the state. Australia is showing up as Western Australia.

I've tried creating a separate column with just region (only including England Scotland and Wales) and adding it to the location data (have two entries, one for country and another for state) but it'll only show one or the other and not both.

@douglasmarc

You can try with Drill function as below. Not sure if it can meet your requirement.

Data Category of Countries column is “Country/Region”.

Data Category of Regions column is “State or Province”.

A filled map of the world showing England, Scotland and Wales as separate Regions_2.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

Thanks for that. It doesn't really help as I need it to show on the main map without drilling down. Thanks though.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.