Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

andreyminakov
Frequent Visitor

A cyclic reference error when use #shared

Hi All!

I don't understand why PQ (in both Excel and Power BI Desktop) raises "Expression.Error: A cyclic reference was encountered during evaluation." in the code below. Error is raised regardless of Table.Buffer in the first step (i.e. with the Buffer and without it). 

let
    Source = Table.Buffer(Record.ToTable(#shared)),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each Value.Is([Value], type number)),
    Custom1 = List.Buffer(#"Filtered Rows"[Name])
in
    Custom1

I can remove List.Buffer, but if I use List.Accumulate instead, the error is raised for still unknown reason, even if it doesn't actually accumulate anything, like List.Accumulate(#"Filtered Rows"[Name], "", (s,c)=>s).

The error starts to be raised only if I filter by Value field, e.g. if I use #"Filtered Rows" step. But the error is raised if I filter the field in anyway, including variants like [Value] = 0.

If I filter by Name, all works without problems. What is the magic with Value field of #shared?

Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @andreyminakov,

The reason it worked when Value.Is as [Name] because when it is type text the value of it is not necessary to pass it to the query.

But when type as number it is necessary to pass the value column as well which makes it to go into an infinite loop.

When you use Value.Is([Value], type number), please add a step before this step to filter out all tables which exist in current report. For example: 

q1.PNG

Update: In my sample, as other two queries don't have error. You can just filter out current query table, eg: 

#"Filtered Rows1" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each  [Name]<>"Query1")

But if some other tables contain error, we need to filter out them to avoid issue. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
andreyminakov
Frequent Visitor

Hi Qiuyun! Yes, of course :-).

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @andreyminakov,

My pleasure. As the issue is resolved now, may I close this thread? Smiley Happy

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
andreyminakov
Frequent Visitor

Hi Qiuyun! Thanks a lot for your answer, it's very appreciated!

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @andreyminakov,

The reason it worked when Value.Is as [Name] because when it is type text the value of it is not necessary to pass it to the query.

But when type as number it is necessary to pass the value column as well which makes it to go into an infinite loop.

When you use Value.Is([Value], type number), please add a step before this step to filter out all tables which exist in current report. For example: 

q1.PNG

Update: In my sample, as other two queries don't have error. You can just filter out current query table, eg: 

#"Filtered Rows1" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each  [Name]<>"Query1")

But if some other tables contain error, we need to filter out them to avoid issue. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @andreyminakov,

I have consulted this issue internally, will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.