cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

A batch-conversion tool for displaying local image in Power BI

As we all know, one of the few ways (maybe the only way) to display local images in Power BI is to convert the images to base64 code. But there is a restriction for the image size.  Displaying images which are sightly greater than 25kb, say 35kb, you will only get part of it. For those with a size greater than maybe 50kb, the image will be crashed.  The problem is, images can easily goes larger than 25kb.

I solve this problem by developing a tool to batch reduce the image size to lower than 25kb and then convert them to base64 code.

Please download the tool from this link  https://1drv.ms/u/s!Amq0yNjgQSmjsGwl9YU6DC7pTvga?e=znuENP to any directory.

User Guide:

1, Extract the zip file, and open the Img2Base64-en.exe  under the dist folder.

img2base.png

2, After a few seconds you will be required to enter your target directory. Copy the directory path and paste it into the above form and then click "Enter" button. Notice that you can have any types of files in the directory, such as .doc, or .xlsx, but only the .jpg, .png and .jpeg files will be converted.

Img2Base2.png 

3,  After a few seconds, the form will be shut-off automatically. And a b64.csv file is generated in the dist folder. This file contains only two columns, one is the name of your images, the other is the base64 codes for each image.

4, Import the b64.csv file into PowerBI, and now the local images are all compacted and imported to PowerBI.  Set column base64's data category to Image URL, then let's enjoy it.

Img2Base3.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: A batch-conversion tool for displaying local image in Power BI

Hi @btharp ,

Great post, believe that this coul be a good post to place on the blog.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog:

Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: A batch-conversion tool for displaying local image in Power BI

Hi @btharp ,

Great post, believe that this coul be a good post to place on the blog.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog:

Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

Community Blog

Community Blog

Visit our Community Blog for articles, guides, and information created by fellow community members.

Upcoming Events

Upcoming Events

Wondering what events you could join or have an event to promote yourself? Check out our Upcoming Events.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

We are thrilled to announce we will begin running a monthly webinar series named Power BI Dev Camp.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors