Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dgonda
Helper I
Helper I

500 Internal server error

Hey,

I preface this with this, I'm kinda new to power bi.

I have pbix file that is admittedly 4.93Gb (one of its table has 2.3 billion rows, I can't really make it any less). Whenever I try to publish it to the service, I get a 500 internal serve error. Any ideas as to why does this happen?

Edit: We are using power BI premium, so the 1Gb limit shouldn't be an issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @dgonda ,

Which SKU the premium workspace is available in? P1 or other SKU? As describe in this official documentation: Depending on the SKU, Power BI Premium supports uploading Power BI Desktop (.pbix) model files up to a maximum of 10 GB in size. When loaded, the model can then be published to a workspace assigned to a Premium capacity. The dataset can then be refreshed to up to 12 GB in size. You should have at least a P1 or an A4 SKU for any datasets larger than 1 GB. And the size of your original file is 4.93 GB, the SKU type you need is at least P2 or higher as refer to the table below...

yingyinr_0-1626424726658.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dgonda ,

Is there anyone else face the same problem with you in your side? Whether the problem still persist? If the problem still persist, please try to do the operations in this thread and check whether it can resolve the problem.

1.  Enable large datasets

yingyinr_0-1626168758630.png

2. Exporting the file as a PowerBI template (File --> Export) , then reimporting it again which puts it into a blank pbix file. Try to re-publish it again.

3. Save the file on local file directory and check the file extension

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Large Datasets were enabled, I've already tried the template trick but it didn't work, and the extension was pbix, so it should be good. I've decreased the size of the file to around 1.5Gb and it went up without a hitch. I ditched some old data to decrease the size because only a few of our users watched them, but I still don't know why it wouldn't go up with all of the data. If that helps, when I tried to upload it from service, it crashed with a memory_limit_exceeded if I remember correctly.

Hi @dgonda ,

Thanks for your feedback. Which workspace did you publish the report to? Is that a workspace with diamond icon just as shown in below screenshot? And could you please try to publish to different workspace or upload the pbix file(Select the related premium workspace --> Get data --> Files --> Select the pbix file) in Power BI Service directly? Later check whether it got the same error message. Thank you.

yingyinr_0-1626245710867.png

Size limits to consider while choosing the right capacity

Best Regards

Hi @v-yiruan-msft,

Yes, it was a premium workspace, we have 4 of them, I've tried uploading it to 2 of them via Power BI service -> Get Data, but failed with the same error message. Sadly I don't have the 5Gb pbix file anymore since I've downscaled it to around 1.5Gb as I've mentioned, so I can't really try to upload it anymore.

Hi @dgonda ,

Which SKU the premium workspace is available in? P1 or other SKU? As describe in this official documentation: Depending on the SKU, Power BI Premium supports uploading Power BI Desktop (.pbix) model files up to a maximum of 10 GB in size. When loaded, the model can then be published to a workspace assigned to a Premium capacity. The dataset can then be refreshed to up to 12 GB in size. You should have at least a P1 or an A4 SKU for any datasets larger than 1 GB. And the size of your original file is 4.93 GB, the SKU type you need is at least P2 or higher as refer to the table below...

yingyinr_0-1626424726658.png

Best Regards

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.