Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

3D model visualization

Hello,

I would like to know if there is any way to import a 3D model (in revit) into PowerBi being able to move around it.

I would really appreciate any help in this issue.

Thanks,

CO

14 REPLIES 14
kenny-kg-dev
Regular Visitor

Hi, we have developed a custom toolchain specifically for getting Revit models (and their data) in Power BI.

Currently, the toolchain allows you to export geometry and as many properties we can find about each building element in a Revit model (and Revit links placed in that model) to Power BI. You can find out more about it on our website: https://kg-dev.be/project/3dbi-for-revit/

I have a problem while I am using the "empty_dashboard_with_viewer_and_data_source_preloaded" file, the 3dbi visual for power Bi didn't load and this warning message always shows me, I wonder if you can help me with this issue.Screenshot (1).png

@kenny-kg-dev Ok at first I thought no way, this is going to just be another textural data import....but wow this looks awesome! Can't wait to start testing, awesome work.

I highly recomend the 3dbi plugin, Its an amazing solution for importing 3d models and being able to interact with the 3d data. This plugin is really innovating how material coordinators can access and efficiently confirm quantities. Historically they are looking at disparate exported schedules and printed drawings. Now they immediately see where elements are on the job site.

3Dbi.gif

Wow, thank you for your feedback, @201648rider . I was very pleasently surprised to read this feedback this morning!

201648rider
Regular Visitor

I don't think there's a way to do this directly but theres some interesting methods for simulating 3d. The beta "shape map" would be the key...In theory you could mesh your revit elements and kick them to topoJSON files, then create custom shape maps adding some algorithms and buttons for controling points based on perspective....basically squishing the 2d mesh to simulate 3d, I think this is how early "3D" games worked.

I've had success viewing isolated pointcloud meshes in PBI....basically taking pointclouds through meshlab, to Revit, then used dynamo to flatten them meshes to planes formatted as topoJSON files. Then import that to powerBI custom shapemap. Colorizing by the preserved distance (using CloudCompare) agains revit phsical model mesh....so the end result is an interactive mesh in PBI colorized by distance to BIM model

All of this is likely too complicated for a full building, perhaps a better solution is to use PBI to stream data to a disparate viewer. A crude example is would be streaming the PBI data realtime to .csv and running Dynamo in "Automatic" mode to live filter/orient Revit.

@201648rider 

How do you convert it to topoJSON in Dynamo? Any help would be appriciated.

Have you had any succes doing the same for floorplans?

Hi, friend ..
Like you, I also want to be able to do these exports without the need for a paid application. I want to program it myself, but I don't know why to start. Could you please share the progress you have made so I can investigate it too?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 

In case someone interested, there is a solution to see the 3D model and be able to move around it:

Having the model published in sketchfab, you can have the corresponding embeded code that can be used with the "html viewer" Power Bi visualization addin (https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/WA104381214).

*Note: the model will not be seen with Power Bi Desktop but once it is published in the web server, it will appear perfectly.

Thanks

Thanks for the workaround. I've never worked with sketchfab. It would be nice to have a solution that ties the data model to the visual, allowing certain parts of the 3D model to be highlighted based on user selections. It's a great start to simply show it though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @deldersveld ,

Today surfing in the gallery I found this link:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Data-Stories-Gallery/PowerBi-and-Bim-model-data/m-p/696837

It's exactly what you looking for. Power BI never stops to amazing me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Indeed, unfortunatelly I am undable to find a way to download it or understand how to make it..

Any ideas?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, @Anonymous !

Visit https://www.bimservices.it/powerbi-en/

There you can take more information, but basically.

You need to plot your 3d model in Bim/vCad format.

From there you can input a permalink from your model into Power BI.

You can send a mail to bimservices@bimservices.it

they provide help in their model.

Cheers,

Currently no. You might look into creating a series of 2D snapshots of the model and work with the Synoptic Panel custom visual in the meantime.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.