Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

joey7504
Frequent Visitor

3 questions

hi Everybody

Merry Christmas and Happy Year New!

I encountered with 3 problems during making BI report,

I wonder whether I can get guidiance and advice from you.  

thanks inadvancequestion1.pngquestion2-1.pngquestion2-2.png

Question 1

whether a measure can be used as a value of the filter?  

I need to output data once a month. Every time I have to manually change the filters.  Please refer to enclosed question 1 png.

Filters on all pages=> value of FYM is 20198 data of period 8

If I can use measure current fiscal period as filter FYMs value,  I would have a dynamic report

Question 2

How to find a date among the data base automatically?

Background:

A module can be repaired serval times, I have to look out the date previously repaired and fill in the current period report.

Image question2-1 is the data base which listed out modules repair records.

For example  

This month is period 8 of 2019,  IF DATE REVEICED of Unit SN+SERVIAL NUMBER IN is 11-15-2019( please refer to image queston2-1)

and this Unit SN+SERVIAL NUMBER IN has another record earlier than 11-15-2019 , I have to screen out the nearest date and

fill it into the report (please refer to image question2-2)

Question 3

How to change the position/order of the columns?

For example

Move column DATE RECEIVED next to column Unit SN.

If the column is a calculated column, I can not find it when I edit queies.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @joey7504 

Create a column

filter pages = DATEDIFF([date],TODAY(),MONTH)

Capture13.JPG

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @joey7504 

Question 3 is a limitation currently.

Here is an idea you could vote for.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/9467625-moving-rearranging-calcul...

Best Regards
Maggie
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @joey7504 

Create a calcualted column and use in the page level filter.

filter pages = IF(MONTH('Table'[date])= MONTH(TODAY())&&YEAR('Table'[date])=YEAR(TODAY()),1,0)

Capture13.JPG

Best Regards
Maggie

hi maggie (1)thank for your guidance and the illustration data. referring to question 1 , I have tried the formula received from Jef (same as yrs) before , it does work. i tried to reply to Jef few days ago, but when i clicked "POST" button, everything gone. it seemed that message lost due to network delay. (2)the problem remained uncleared are question 2 & 3 i'd like to enclose an image to make further explaination to my question 2, but i don't know the method. (3)do you know the way how to drag a column and move its position? not like excel you can cut and paste the column as you like, if you 'd like to check the cell , you always have to drag the mouse left and right, it's so tied. and a caculated column is not hided when you open edit qurey. you can not find any calculated column there. could you please give me your adivce ? thank you joey

Hi @joey7504 

Calculated columns don't exsit in Edit queries by design.

You could upload picture by clicking on camara icon below.

Or you could upload pictures/files onto OneDrive, then share the link here.

Capture12.JPG

Best Regards
Maggie

thank you maggie,  by the way, how to change the below formular and filter pages of previous month?

/filter pages = IF(MONTH('Table'[date])= MONTH(TODAY())&&YEAR('Table'[date])=YEAR(TODAY()),1,0)/

waiting for your guidiance 

joey

Hi @joey7504 

Create a column

filter pages = DATEDIFF([date],TODAY(),MONTH)

Capture13.JPG

Best Regards
Maggie

hi Maggie: 

referring to my question no.2 , i enclosed 2 images to explain my needs,

if a module was repaired before , return the date of last time repair. if no return blank,

example: 

1st repair : 02-22-2019 

2nd repair: 05-16-2019

3rd repair: 07-01-2019

when in july i need return 05-16-2019

data.pngreport.png

Hi @joey7504 

Create a new table

date = CALENDARAUTO()

No relationship for this date table

Capture16.JPG

Create a measure

Measure =
CALCULATE (
    MAX ( 'Table'[date repaired] ),
    FILTER (
        'Table',
        'Table'[module] = MAX ( 'Table'[module] )
            && DATEDIFF ( [date repaired], MAX ( 'date'[Date] ), MONTH ) >= 1
    )
)

Capture15.JPG

Best Regards
Maggie

thank you maggie, 

it's really cool and simple to solve this problem by using DAX datediff,

it ring my bell, in excel , there is a function datedif 

i will remember it now

thank you

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @joey7504 

Is this problem sloved? 
If it is sloved, could you kindly accept it as a solution to close this case?
If not, please let me know.

Best Regards
Maggie
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @joey7504 ,

For question 1:
Create a custom column in your date table, where you check if the date is in the current month, something like this:

Current YTD = if(MONTH('Calendar'[Date]) = MONTH(NOW()) && 'Calendar'[Year] = YEAR(NOW()) && [Date] <= NOW(),1,0)

Now you can filter on this custom column (where Current YTD = 1)

Question 2:
If I understand your question correctly, you want an extra colum with the MAX date received, grouped by Serial Number In:
You can create the column like this:
LastRepair = CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[DATE RECEIVED]), ALLEXCEPT('Table', 'Table'[SERIAL NUMBER IN]))

Question 3:
I don't know if this is possible.

hi Jef:

in DEC i tried your formular and got previous month's data, but this month i failed.  1-1=0 ,

actually i need previous month's data, because report alwasy reflect last month situation. could you please help? 

Current YTD = if(MONTH('Calendar'[Date]) = MONTH(NOW()) -1 && 'Calendar'[Year] = YEAR(NOW()) && [Date] <= NOW(),1,0)

waiting for your reply

regards

Joey

hi Jef thanks for your help. and sorry for my late reply. (1)your answer to question 1 is perfect. problem cleared. (2)how to post an image in the message body when i reply you ? i'd like make a further explaination to my question no.2, but failed. thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.