Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

joschultz
Helper III
Helper III

2014 and 2015 sales data

how can I combine sales data from 2014 and 2015 in a line graph to show year over year if they are in two seperate data sets?  I have then seperated becuase the files are so large.

Thank you,

Joseph

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Have you come across Append within the Query Editor? This allows you to create one table from both sheets, its very intuitive to use. Hope this helps

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
elliotdixon
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @joschultz

If in two tables you might need to combine them together first. is it two SQL tables or excel sheets?

They are excel sheets..  they have the same fields just one is 2014 data and one is 2015 data.  I tried to create a relationship between the two with the date but that wasnt working for me.

Have you come across Append within the Query Editor? This allows you to create one table from both sheets, its very intuitive to use. Hope this helps

I have been trying to figure that out for awhile!  The append worked great!!!!  Can you append more than one data source?  Say if I wanted to keep my data a month at a time?

Yes as long as the structure of the sources is consistent.

If all your data is saved in seperate (consistent) spreadsheets you can bulk import so your data will update by just presing refresh - http://excelunplugged.com/2015/02/10/get-data-from-folder-in-power-query/

(this examaple is excel but should wiork the same)

If your data originates in a database you could skip the excel spreadsheets altogether and import direct

@itchyeyeballs is on to it
here is a great video about using Power Query to suck the two excel files into one datamodel or one excel sheet
https://youtu.be/a7E29H5ZUmE

By Excel Is Fun

Excel Power Query #06: Import Multiple Excel Files From Folder Into One Excel Table or Data Model

itchyeyeballs
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

As stated above, combine the files.

File size is not really an issue as it is with Excel. Power Pivot & Power BI can cope with tens of millions of rows so unless you are analysing 2014 vs 2015 for Amazon you should have no problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.