Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

2 workspace auto-produce 2 usage report datasets - PB doesn't allow to upload BOTH sets in 1 report

2 workspaces produce 2 usage metrics report datasets - but Power Bi doesn't allow to upload both datasets in 1 Power Bi desktop report ?

I have 2 workspaces (A, B) and I confirmed that each workspace produce a different dataset for (A, B).

I opened Power Bi desktop with the aim of creating my own report to display usage data for each workspace in 2 report tabs for A, B However, to my surprise, the desktop report only alllows me to use 1 dataset, you can't upload both datasets in the same desktop report. Once you upload 1 of the datasets (A or B), the GET DATA menu will gray out.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY THIS HAPPENS....AND HOW TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM, SO I CAN UPLOAD BOTH DATASETS INTO 1 POWER BI DESKTOP REPORT ???

5 REPLIES 5
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous ;

Did you mean conneting to power bi dataset in power bi desktop? We can look at its limitations
1.That is
a live connection, left-navigation and modeling are disabled. You can only connect to one dataset in each report. This behavior is similar to the behavior when connected to SQL Server Analysis Services. However, the following article describes how a new feature in Power BI now makes this possible: see using DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview)

2.so you could update your Desktop to the latest version and then in Power BI Desktop go to File > Options and settings > Options, and in the Preview features section, select the DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Analysis Services checkbox to enable this preview feature. Two datasets can be connected in desktop, but the mode is changed from live connection to direct query.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, that's a good step forward.

However, MS still needs to fix some issues:

1-I still can't upload both usage datasets in the same PB desktop report.

2-The usage datasets only provide data for the last 3 months.

Any company would at least like to see a yearly trend.

3-I can't see the data after uploading the usage dataset. I can only see the visuals I created and the model that joins the tables.

BTW, regarding the above. Yes instead of using the above usage datasets, you can get Log data from the admin, but it is basic login data.

Regards

The only thing the tenant audit logs are missing is page level detail. Everything else is there, and then some.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Ask your tenant admin to give you access to the audit logs (usually they are put into dataflows). That will make it easier to monitor usage across workspaces/apps.  Note:  does not provide page level granularity.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, but data logs do not provide report USAGE data, just who viewed the report with a date stamp.

So, regarding my question......Power Bi doesn't allow to upload 2 USAGE datasets (from 2 workspaces) into 1 Power Bi desktop report.

And to make things worse, MS only provide report usage data for the last 3 months (so you can't generate a yearly trend). MS and the Power Bi team should review usage datasets to fix these problems.

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.