Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

2 Datasets - 1 Date Slicer - Relationship needed?

I have 2 datasets in my report 1)ChurnSignupsByDate and 2)ChurnDetails.  Both datasets have a field call SVC_END_DATE.  'ChurnSignupsByDate' has a single record for each SVC_END_DATE

'Churn' has all of the records for each Churn records with multiple records for each SVC_END_DATE.  

I want to display visualizations off of each dataset on the same report page with only one Date Slicer on this field SVC_END_DATE from ChurnSignupsByDate .  Do I have to create a relationship between these datasets?  When I tried this, I lost data in my ChurnDetails table. 

SRV_END_DATE Relationship.JPG

Can I please get help making this work? Any help is appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Be aware that when making this type of relationship you must always use on your visualization the column of the one side to get your results, further more when working with dates as a best practice the use of a date table is better because of the continuous dates.

Do you have a calendar table? 

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

If your common value is a date you need to relate both tables based on a calendar table and then make a relationship between that table and the other two. However depending on how your model is setup you may need to create some additional dimension table to relate the tables in order to show the correct results. 

Can you share a sample data and expected result? 

Regards

Miguel Félix

Anonymous
Not applicable

When I create the One to Many relationship, the records from the Details start at 3/9/2020 and forward.  I can't figure out why.  

You can see the left table has more records than the right.

Scotto13_0-1592861975986.png

Scotto13_1-1592862136661.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the tables in the relationships backwards.  This is close but there are records in the Details table not being filtered by the selector.

Scotto13_0-1592862354259.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

As soon as I added a Date table I lost records in the Details table:

Date = Calendar( Date(2019, 1, 1), Date(2025,12,31))
The Details table has dates back to 1/1/2020 but with the join it will only show dates from 3/9/2020 forward

Anonymous
Not applicable

Scotto13_0-1592863163499.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

I figured it out.  One of my Dates has the time and the other just the date.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good solution to use the Date table @MFelix.  Thanks for you help!

Be aware that when making this type of relationship you must always use on your visualization the column of the one side to get your results, further more when working with dates as a best practice the use of a date table is better because of the continuous dates.

Do you have a calendar table? 

Regards

Miguel Félix

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.