Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

100% Stacked and Clustered Bar Chart with dynamically filtered data

Hello,

I'm relatively new to Power B.I. and SQL but am quite advanced at graph creation using R.

MY END GOAL: To create a 100% Stacked and Clustered Bar Chart. I reasearched how to create this but it seems that it is not possible and there is no custom visualization that fits this chart type (please correct me if otherwise). A chart where the bars for comparison are on top of each other would work as well.

MY ISSUE: I have two filtered columns: Driver_name and timeBand. I would like to compare any particular driver's distribution of performance (ontime, early, late) to the average (including or excluding the driver selected) within the routes he/she drives. I've thought of at least two ways to tackle these problems, but neither of them are working for me:

Solution Attempt A) Create a dynamic column that can be used within a hierarchy

1. Create a Measure called Average_Logic that contains the text "Driver" if it is the driver or "Average" as an exclusive average. 

Avg_logic =
IF(SELECTEDVALUE(SwiftlyJoinedWithTrapeze_20200129[timeBand])==TimeBandTable[timeBand_selection], "Driver", "Average")

2. Add measure to axis and select "Expand all down one level in the hierarchy". This is where it breaks for me. All the solutions I read on forums recommended creating a measure rather than a column but I don't believe one can add measures to an axis... If one could, this is what I would want it to do. 

Solution Attempt B) Create merged calculated tables

1. Create a calculated table that applies both the Driver_name and timeBand filter from the slicer

2. Create a calculated table that applies only the timeBand filter, and changes the [route_short_name] column to be its concatenatenation with the text " Average"

3. Create a merged table between the two above and link the visualization to this merged table

I am having a hard time with Solution Attempt B, as I try to understand how to filter and unfilter tables and merge them together. Any tips regarding these and other potential solutions would be appreciated.

PHOTO: I want to combine these two to be on the same graph because comparing distributions on a horizontal bar chart is easier done vertically than horizontally. 

Screen Capture_Flag Distribution (1).jpg

1 REPLY 1
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

Based on my research, It is unavailable to  create a dynamic column and use a measure as an axis. Even if they look similar, there is a big difference between calculated columns and measures. The value of a calculated column is computed during data refresh and uses the current row as a context; it does not depend on user activity on the pivot table. A measure operates on aggregations of data defined by the current context. In a pivot table, for example, source tables are filtered according to the coordinates of cells, and data is aggregated and calculated using these filters. In other words, a measure always operates on aggregations of data under the evaluation context.

About how to filter and unfilter tables, you may refer to the following link.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-report-filter-types

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.