Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Justine
Frequent Visitor

1 report - infinity of tiles with different display

Dear all,

I have been looking around for several weeks now and I keep facing challenges to get to my goal so I decided to reach out to all of you and see if you can help me.

My dream: have 1 report (data refreshed daily) available in one dashboard. By using filters or/and bookmarks, this report can be adapted to the need of all department in my organisation. This now "filtered" report can then be linked on each department team dashboard tile.

My setup: I created an app containing my report. Employees from my organisation can filter the report to their liking and set a personal bookmark to keep their setup. The report can be embedded as web content in a tile on their dashboard

My challenge: Though I figured out how to display a different page of the report, I cannot figure out how to link a different bookmark or link a report page with defined filters. Each time the tile displays the data for the whole company and not the data for a specific department.

Did I miss something when looking around? Is there a way around my issue to still manage to reach my dream?

Thank you in advance for your help.

6 REPLIES 6
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Justine 

I'd like to suggest you use 'Save a copy' feature to achieve your requirement. When you find a report you like in a workspace or an app, you may make a copy of it and save it to a different workspace. Then you can modify your copy of the report, adding or deleting visuals and other elements. You don't have to worry about creating the data model. It's already created for you. And it's much easier to modify an existing report than it is to start from scratch.

For further information, you may refer to Copy reports from other workspaces .

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Allan,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

I have been looking at that solution but I am facing 2 limitations with it.

1- From an app, I am only able to copy a report on my personal workspace. When copying, it doesn't ask me where I want the report to be copied and send it to my personal workspace. Then because this report is generated in the online version, I am not able to open it in the desktop version to publish it somewhere else.

Now let's disregard 1 and assume this works to my liking.

2- The copied report is static is the sense that if the source report is updated, each department using a copy will have to be notified of the modification, copy the new report and publish this new version.

Can you by any chance think about a solution that would allow to keep the dynamic? So the ownership of the display say with me and only the filtering part will be each department ownership?

I have been looking into filtering the report in the URL. I managed to do it and pin a single "filtered" graph to a dashboard. Though, I am facing many limitations with that solution too. I can only pin to a dashboard on the workspace where the report is published and it is only 1 graph and not the all report. I have tried to do the same with the app but I cannot pin anything as even for 1 graph the pin button is desactivated.

With best regards,

Justine

Hi Amitchandak,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my post.

I would think that my case is simpler than RLS control. I don't mind people having access to data from the whole organization. Though, each department have their own workplaces/dashboards and will want to display the same report but with different scope.

My report currently works with bookmarks. Each person can open the report, click on the report to edit some filters (handled with bookmarks), click again to hide the filters and see the report filtered to their liking. They can then set a personnal bookmark to same their settings. What I am failing to do is embedded the report with those same settings in a tile on their dashboard. The embedded link is displaying the report without any filters.

With best regards,

Justine

kentyler
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

You might look into using Power BI itself as a data source for a power bi report.

You build your data model and save it.

Then you build a report for one department (or employee) and attach it to your power bi file as a data source. 

Then you copy that report and attach the copy to the same power bi file as a datasource.

Now you have 2 reports, each of which can be "set up" individually, but both using the same data and data model. This works especially well if the different employees want to "customize" their reports. You can let them do that without jeopardizing your data integrity

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Help when you know. Ask when you don't!