Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

1 filter for multiple columns of a report

Hi,

I have two columns i.e Work Item Type and Enhancements (Calculated Column) in my dataset with different values.

Is it possible that I can combine the two columns so as I can create 1 filter in my rport where the dropdown will show all fields eg. I name a filter ticket type and it contains: user Story, Issue, Feature, Customer Enhancement, Internal Enhancement etc.

I excel we can use "case statement and achieve this but not sure how I can do it in Power BI.

Please let me know how to proceed on this.

Himanshu_13_0-1616141845865.pngHimanshu_13_1-1616141900088.png

Regards,

Himanshu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

According to your requirements, I did the following test: first use duplicate to copy the same table in Power Query, and then each table retains the columns that need to be merged, use the Append function to merge them into a new table as shown in the screenshot below, and create one in the PowerBI Desktop calculate column, use the IF function to merge into a column, put the column field in the slicer, you can get the expected result, use 1 filter for multiple columns.

a.jpgb.PNG

Column =
IF (
    'Table (5)'[Enhancements] <> BLANK (),
    'Table (5)'[Enhancements],
    'Table (5)'[Work Item Type]
)

c.PNG

Here is the sample pbix file.

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

According to your requirements, I did the following test: first use duplicate to copy the same table in Power Query, and then each table retains the columns that need to be merged, use the Append function to merge them into a new table as shown in the screenshot below, and create one in the PowerBI Desktop calculate column, use the IF function to merge into a column, put the column field in the slicer, you can get the expected result, use 1 filter for multiple columns.

a.jpgb.PNG

Column =
IF (
    'Table (5)'[Enhancements] <> BLANK (),
    'Table (5)'[Enhancements],
    'Table (5)'[Work Item Type]
)

c.PNG

Here is the sample pbix file.

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks it resolved my issue.

Regards,

Himanshu

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors