Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PetyrBaelish
Resolver III
Resolver III

1 Date axis, 2 measures, each measure based on a different dimension

I have a fact table with the following columns that's storing data on helpdesk incidents

ReportedDateKey (text, e.g. 20190112)

ClosedDateKey (text, e.g. 20190209)

Completed (integer, a 1 if the incident is complete, 0 if it isn't)

I have a measure called Incidents Completed which is a sum of the Completed column.

The ReportedDateKey and ClosedDateKey columns are related to 2 dimension tables - both are dates tables that store information about that date, e.g. the year, month, week number, month-year (e.g. 2018-06) etc.

I am trying to create a line and stacked column visual in Power BI that shows:

- An axis with year and month-year, allowing for drilldown. I'm currently using the year and month-year columns from my ReportedDate dimension

- 2 lines, one for calls reported and 1 for calls completed.

Whatever I seem to do to try and get two separate lines doesn't seem to work. My two lines are identical (in my data every incident is completed - but my point is there should be a variation due to the timing of the incident being reported and the incident being completed, so incidents logged might be 30 in January, 40 in February, but incidents closed might be 25 in January, 45 in February - I want my visualisation to show, by 2 lines, the delay in incidents being reported and completed). 

I understand why, as my axis is based on the reported date dimension table, but I don't know how to involve the second dimension on the same visual.

I'm using Visual Studio to configure my tabular model (live connection) - ideally I'd like to have two measures called Incidents Reported and Incidents Completed and that these measures would have an awareness of the times that they belong to when adding them to a measure with a date based X axis.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PetyrBaelish ,

One sample for your reference. Please check the steps as below.

1. Create two calculated column in the fact table.

ClosedDateKey1 = DATE(LEFT('Table1'[ClosedDateKey],4),MID('Table1'[ClosedDateKey],5,2),RIGHT('Table1'[ClosedDateKey],2))
ReportedDateKey1 = DATE(LEFT('Table1'[ReportedDateKey],4),MID('Table1'[ReportedDateKey],5,2),RIGHT('Table1'[ReportedDateKey],2))

2. Create a date table and make the relationship between it and the fact table as below. Please note here the relationship is inactive.

date = CALENDAR(DATE(2019,01,01),DATE(2019,12,31))

2.PNG

3. Then we can create two measures to get the excepeted result we need.

Closed = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Table1),FILTER(Table1,Table1[Completed]=1),USERELATIONSHIP(Table1[ClosedDateKey1],'date'[Date]))
repo = CALCULATE(COUNT(Table1[Completed]),FILTER(Table1,Table1[Completed]=1),USERELATIONSHIP(Table1[ReportedDateKey1],'date'[Date]))

Capture.PNG

Pbix as attached.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PetyrBaelish ,

One sample for your reference. Please check the steps as below.

1. Create two calculated column in the fact table.

ClosedDateKey1 = DATE(LEFT('Table1'[ClosedDateKey],4),MID('Table1'[ClosedDateKey],5,2),RIGHT('Table1'[ClosedDateKey],2))
ReportedDateKey1 = DATE(LEFT('Table1'[ReportedDateKey],4),MID('Table1'[ReportedDateKey],5,2),RIGHT('Table1'[ReportedDateKey],2))

2. Create a date table and make the relationship between it and the fact table as below. Please note here the relationship is inactive.

date = CALENDAR(DATE(2019,01,01),DATE(2019,12,31))

2.PNG

3. Then we can create two measures to get the excepeted result we need.

Closed = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Table1),FILTER(Table1,Table1[Completed]=1),USERELATIONSHIP(Table1[ClosedDateKey1],'date'[Date]))
repo = CALCULATE(COUNT(Table1[Completed]),FILTER(Table1,Table1[Completed]=1),USERELATIONSHIP(Table1[ReportedDateKey1],'date'[Date]))

Capture.PNG

Pbix as attached.

Regards,

Frank

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi @PetyrBaelish ,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as the solution to close the case please. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Frank

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors