cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
svalen Member

0x80040E4E Error - OLE DB or ODBC

Hello all.

I have this strange error. I say strange because I can refresh the data on the Query Editor but I can't connect it to the model when I do "Apply". I get the 0x80040E4E error and I have literally no idea why. I just know it started occuring after I grabbed data from a folder and I created a function to get the filename in a column.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Error.jpgErrorFunction.jpgFuntion

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
svalen Member

Re: 0x80040E4E Error - OLE DB or ODBC

@v-qiuyu-msft

After messing around with the file, I solved it. It has to do with character support, as I had cubic and degree sign on the code and it was read as "?". I changed the encoding to Western Europe and it is solved. But it was not intuitive, as the error code did not point to this. Anyway, I hope this may help someone with the same problem.

Thanks for your support.

10 REPLIES 10
Moderator v-qiuyu-msft

Hi @svalen,

It seems that the error throws out when you apply the changes, right? In your scenario, please try to update the desktop to the version 2.42.4611.901 released in 1/20/2017.

If issue persists, please try to share the sample folder data source and sample .pbix file to reproduce the issue if possible.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
svalen Member

@v-qiuyu-msft

I updated and I still get an error, slightly different. I even copied the code to a new file and it didn't work.

I am stuck here, is there anything else I can do? How can I send you the file?

Thanks.

Error.pngError

svalen Member

@v-qiuyu-msft

After messing around with the file, I solved it. It has to do with character support, as I had cubic and degree sign on the code and it was read as "?". I changed the encoding to Western Europe and it is solved. But it was not intuitive, as the error code did not point to this. Anyway, I hope this may help someone with the same problem.

Thanks for your support.

Gabrielna12 Visitor
Visitor

Which code do you refers to? This error is happening to me, can you help me please? How can I solve this?

svalen Member

@Gabrielna12

If you go to the advanced editor, if your problem is similar to mine, you'll probably see some strange characters with question marks or something.

On my case, it was the name of the columns on the excel source file that was not being read properly. On the query, on the first step (Source), click on the settings button and change the encoding to Western Europe or other that works.

If you can't do this tell me, I might be able to help.

arslaan29 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I am trying to get data from Google Analytics to Power Bi but for page and page views field I am getting ' failed to save modifications to the sever . Error returned: 'OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error] There was an internal error.. ;. Can you please help me with this issue

NWBI Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

@svalen

Could you provide more detail on you roslution? When I go to the query page and click the settings button, where do I go to change the encoding? I don't see an apparant way of doing this when I am connected via ODBC.

Many Thanks!

svalen Member

Sorry but I don't work with ODBC now so I can't test.
But look further, try avoiding columns with special characters and see if you can spot the issue.
Sorry I can be of more help.
rbucklew New Member

It did work with my error too. I changed mine to Ariel. Thank you for posting this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Back to School Contest

Back to School Contest

Engage and empower students with Power BI!

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Summit Australia 2019

Summit Australia 2019

Travel to Melbourne and network with thousands of peers!

Top Ideas
Users Online
Currently online: 99 members 1,507 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: