Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

0x80040E4E Error - OLE DB or ODBC

Hello all.

I have this strange error. I say strange because I can refresh the data on the Query Editor but I can't connect it to the model when I do "Apply". I get the 0x80040E4E error and I have literally no idea why. I just know it started occuring after I grabbed data from a folder and I created a function to get the filename in a column.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

ErrorErrorFuntionFuntion

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-qiuyu-msft

After messing around with the file, I solved it. It has to do with character support, as I had cubic and degree sign on the code and it was read as "?". I changed the encoding to Western Europe and it is solved. But it was not intuitive, as the error code did not point to this. Anyway, I hope this may help someone with the same problem.

Thanks for your support.

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37

Hi,

I know this thread is quite old, but maybe someone stumbles over this again. This error seems to have a broad spectrum of possible causes. In my case, it involved some tables being included in the incremental refresh and activating DirectQuery (Power BI Premium) to acquire the latest data. In a few DAX expressions, it broke the LOOKUPVALUE function, and it had a ripple effect on a few other tables.

Thanks. This is what I thought happened in mine 

Como você fez para alterar a configuração dos dados ? Para Europa ocidental ?

I don't understand this solution but have a similar problem. One of my errors is 

RobG123_0-1657185701451.png

So no mention of any column. And by the way there are no data type changes in the query editor. 

Do you have any ideas how to fix? I may post this in a few places.

Thanks
Rob 

Works! I changed the data type to correctly reflect the data and it works now. Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Svalen, 

Was your file a csv? I am facing the same issue with an excel file (error after grabbing data from a folder). Still nothing worked so if you have any idea? 

Hi, check your encoding in the Advanced Editor (first line I believe or by clicking source options in the next steps). 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to Data Source Settings

Choose Global Permissions and clean any permissions not used, include anyone not used in "Data source in current file".

image.png

It did work with my error too. I changed mine to Ariel. Thank you for posting this.

Which code do you refers to? This error is happening to me, can you help me please? How can I solve this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gabrielna12

If you go to the advanced editor, if your problem is similar to mine, you'll probably see some strange characters with question marks or something.

On my case, it was the name of the columns on the excel source file that was not being read properly. On the query, on the first step (Source), click on the settings button and change the encoding to Western Europe or other that works.

If you can't do this tell me, I might be able to help.

Just in case it helps anyone else, inside the Excel file I am importing I had a duplicated value for a field used as a 1to* relationship and that was breaking Power BI.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having this Error, but I could refresh my data using query , 

image.pngTeh advanced editor seems to have nothing strange

Please Help

I had this error as well after duplicating a table via Google Analytics connector. My issue was that I renamed the table in 'Transform Data' mode which wouldn't reflect inside the Report view and it gave me the internal error OLE .... Be careful to rename it inside transform data, rather do it after successfully added and rename it in Report mode. I've been able to rename tables it in either mode, so its a bit odd to me in this case.

@Anonymous

Could you provide more detail on you roslution? When I go to the query page and click the settings button, where do I go to change the encoding? I don't see an apparant way of doing this when I am connected via ODBC.

Many Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry but I don't work with ODBC now so I can't test.
But look further, try avoiding columns with special characters and see if you can spot the issue.
Sorry I can be of more help.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-qiuyu-msft

I updated and I still get an error, slightly different. I even copied the code to a new file and it didn't work.

I am stuck here, is there anything else I can do? How can I send you the file?

Thanks.

ErrorError

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.