Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jahida
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

0 Value for Fields in DATE function

Hi all,

I had a question about the DATE function in DAX, specifically the expected outcome when the "days" field is 0. Here's the documentation for that:

"If day is less than 1, day subtracts the magnitude that number of days, plus one, from the first day of the month specified."

This seems pretty clear to me: for example, I expected DATE(2016, 2, 0) to give January 31, 2016. Instead, that function gives an error. Is this me being stupid, poor documentation, or something else..?

If it's poor documentation and I shouldn't expect that behaviour to change anytime soon, what's the recommended (safe) way to generate the date 7 (or any other non-zero number) days ago as of refresh? I was doing

DATE(YEAR(TODAY()), MONTH(TODAY()), DAY(TODAY()) - 7)

but that broke on the 7th of the month since it evaluated to day = 0 (I think that's why at least).

Thanks for your help! Sorry if this question is a duplicate, I'd imagine I'm not the first one to have this problem (if it is a problem) but I couldn't find a similar one in the forum.

5 REPLIES 5
KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can subtract a whole number from a date. Move -7 outside the DATE function. Actually TODAY() - 7 should do the same.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

jahida
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

That'll work great as a work-around, thanks. Still curious about the behaviour of the DATE function though.

Hi @jahida,

Based on my research, the <day> parameter in the DATE() function needs to obey the rules in this article: DATE Function (DAX)

"A number representing the day or a calculation according to the following rules:

If day is a number from 1 to the last day of the given month then it represents a day of the month.

If you enter an integer larger than last day of the given month, the following computation occurs: the date is calculated by adding the value of day to month. For example, in the formula DATE( 2008, 3, 32), the DATE function returns a datetime value equivalent to April 1st of 2008, because 32 days are added to the beginning of March yielding a value of April 1st.

If you enter a negative integer, the following computation occurs: the date is calculated subtracting the value of day from month. For example, in the formula DATE( 2008, 5, -15), the DATE function returns a datetime value equivalent to April 15th of 2008, because 15 days are subtracted from the beginning of May 2008 yielding a value of April 2008.

If day contains a decimal portion, it is rounded to the nearest integer value. "

If the day is 0 in the DATE() function, it's not belonged to any valid rules. In my opinion, if we specify the expression =DATE(2016, 2, 0), it will try to be converted to date 2/0/2016 on backend, but 0 day is not available in any month, so the error throws out. In your scenario, it's expected that the error will throws out if the day parameter is 0 in DATE() function.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
jahida
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

If that was the only part of the documentation, then I agree, having 0 as an error would be fair. But the section I included in my initial post seems to clearly specify the expected behaviour of 0: giving the last day of the previous month. Also, the documentation gives very similar rules for month:

"A number representing the month or a calculation according to the following rules:

If month is a number from 1 to 12, then it represents a month of the year. 1 represents January, 2 represents February, and so on until 12 that represents December.

If you enter an integer larger than 12, the following computation occurs: the date is calculated by adding the value of month to the year. For example, if you have DATE( 2008, 18, 1), the function returns a datetime value equivalent to June 1st of 2009, because 18 months are added to the beginning of 2008 yielding a value of June 2009. See examples below.

If you enter a negative integer, the following computation occurs: the date is calculated subtracting the value of month from year."

But having experimented, <month> = 0 isn't an error but a valid way to express the last month of the previous year.

Also, if -1 gave the last day of the previous month, I think it would be fair to have 0 give an error. But it doesn't; it gives the date 2 days before. So for example, if I wanted to use the format DATE(2016, 2, x), I can generate essentially every date imaginable EXCEPT for January 31, 2016. That doesn't seem reasonable. Anyway, I'll get over it. Thanks!

skavan
Frequent Visitor

I had exactly the same issue. It's illogical.

The simple fix would be to provide a DATEADD function for scalar dates. (DATEADD only works with columns).

s.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.