Sales Scorecard: Where are we losing money? by Decisive Data

41563 Views

Re: Sales Scorecard: Where are we losing money?

4/12 Update: Simplify using UNICHAR

I just discovered the UNICHAR function in DAX, and used this to simplify my process! Currently we have 2 elements for each indicator, for a total of 8 elements. This method cuts the elements in half!

1. Delete the tree maps and the arrow objects
  2. Delete the KPI Red/Green measures for Sales and Profit (4 total)
  3. Create 4 new measures
    • Sales Indicator Positive = IF(AND(HASONEVALUE('Date'[Fiscal Year]),'Sales Scorecard'[Sales YoY Growth]>0),UNICHAR(11205),"")
    • Sales Indicator Negative = IF(AND(HASONEVALUE('Date'[Fiscal Year]),'Sales Scorecard'[Sales YoY Growth]<0),UNICHAR(11206),"")
    • Profit Indicator Negative = IF(AND(HASONEVALUE('Date'[Fiscal Year]),'Sales Scorecard'[Profit YoY Growth]<0),UNICHAR(11205),"")
    • Profit Indicator Positive = IF(AND(HASONEVALUE('Date'[Fiscal Year]),'Sales Scorecard'[Profit YoY Growth]>0),UNICHAR(11206),"")
  4. Put each measure in a separate card.
  5. Change the Data Label colors to make the down arrows red and the up arrows grey
  6. Arrange your arrows and you're done!

With this method, we are using the UNICHAR to display UNICODE arrow characters. Since we're doing this in DAX, we can us IF statements to hide/show the arrows based on our measures, which means we no longer need to use the tree maps as covers, cutting our number of elements in half! Less elements = easier to maintain.

Enjoy!

Jared Knutzen | Visualization Consultant
Decisive Data | www.decisivedata.net

Aesthetically pleasing and well thought-out.  I like the way you thought outside of the box (big time!) with regard to the KPI.  This is a very well-organized and actionable report.  Thanks for sharing!

You can use Word or other more advanced text editor (able to produce symbols) instead to produce "dots". Then just use color formatting in text visual in Power BI to make them red and gray.

Visitor

Re: Sales Scorecard: Where are we losing money? by Decisive Data

Highly informative, visually appealing report!  Even more, I appreciated the writeup and the time it took to document your methodology.  Thanks for sharing!  -Ellen

Frequent Visitor

Awesome work Jared. Its surely out of box thinking...

Could you please share the PBIX file of this scorecard to owenitian@gmail.com if you dont mind.

Frequent Visitor

Hello Jared,

would you be willing to share this Pbix file with me? My email is adrewmc1@gmail.com 

Frequent Visitor

Hello Jared,

Would you mind sharing the Pbix file for this report with me? my email is adrewmc1@gmail.com

Thank you 

@JaredK, really great , i just visited your Gallary and find this is really amazing and helpful. 
But i still have no idea how to get the Bar Chart in Between red and gray. 

i also use Color Saturation , and i set the mimium and maximium , but the between data still can't get it right to the red color. 

Would you please to let me know how the trick you use on this case ? 
You're amazing Smiley Happy 

thx 

@Chanleakna123

Have you tried using the 'Diverging' Option in the Data Colors format options when you have the bar chart selected?

Diverging Colors.PNG

I believe that should do the trick?

Matt

Frequent Visitor

Hello Jared,

Would you mind sharing the Pbix file for this report with me? my email is guidotreur@yahoo.com

Thank you