Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

sum a column only if a value exists in another column

Hi,

I am looking to sum a column only if a value exists in another column, where the tables are not summarized data, but detailed and only summarized in the visuals and measures (this is important as to retain the ability for the user to adjust the dimension filters).

For example, I have an account table.

Account_ID

Group

A

A

A

B

B

C

C

C

C

I also have a user table

User

Account_id

I also have a usage table, that tells me if a user (and therefore an account) has usage.

user

date logged in

1/1/2020

1/2/2020

1/1/2020

1/2/2020

1/1/2020

1/2/2020

1/1/2020

1/2/2020

1/2/2020

1/2/2020

1/2/2020

1/2/2020

(note, I need all of the tables because the account and user table contain other dimensions about the accounts and users that are needed)

I have created the following summary table

Group

Num of accounts

Accounts logged in

% logged in

A

100%

B

50%

C

Total

44%

Where

• num of accounts = DISTINCTCOUNT(account[account_id])
  • accounts logged in = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(account[account_id]),filter(usage,count(usage[user])))

This works for the table above, but the total of 44% if not what I want to show.  If there is not value in accounts logged in for a group, then I don’t want to count the value in num of accounts in the denominator (i.e. instead of 4/9 = 40%, I want 4/5 = 80%).  The resulting table should look like this.

Group

Num of accts 2

% logged in 2

% logged in

A

100%

B

50%

C

Total

80%

How can I write the % to ignore the ‘4’ accounts for group C because they haven’t logged in?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Here is a new expression for your num of accounts measure that gets the desired results I believe.

num of accounts 2 =
VAR __groupswithlogin =
    CALCULATETABLE ( VALUES ( Account[Group] ), usage )
RETURN
    SUMX ( __groupswithlogin, CALCULATE ( DISTINCTCOUNT ( Account[Account_ID] ) ) )

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Please try these expressions instead

• num of accounts = IF(HASONEVALUE(account[Group]), DISTINCTCOUNT(account[account_id), CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(account[account_id]), Usage)
  • accounts logged in = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(account[account_id]), Usage)
  • % logged in = DIVIDE([accounts logged in], [num of accounts])

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mahoneypat 

thank you.  I tired num of accounts = IF(HASONEVALUE(account[Group]), DISTINCTCOUNT(account[account_id), CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(account[account_id]), Usage).

the end result was below.  note the first column is just to show the total accts in each group for context.  For num of accts (your formula), while the detail level is correct, the total row is pulling the total accounts with usage (prev column), not the total accounts for the group.  it should pull the sum total of accounts for the group if any 1 account in that group has usage

Groupnum of accts (total)num of accts logged in (your formula)num of accts (your formula)% logged in
A333100%
B21250%
C4 4 
Total944100%

Here is a new expression for your num of accounts measure that gets the desired results I believe.

num of accounts 2 =
VAR __groupswithlogin =
    CALCULATETABLE ( VALUES ( Account[Group] ), usage )
RETURN
    SUMX ( __groupswithlogin, CALCULATE ( DISTINCTCOUNT ( Account[Account_ID] ) ) )

Regards,

Pat

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mahoneypat  This worked great.  Thank you.  

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You can combine two measures, one for the individual items in the visual, and one for the totals

Result = if(hasonevalue(Group),detail measure, totals measure)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lbendlin  thank you.  I follow the hasonevalue to get the detailed row vs total row to have different calculations, but what would you do to calculate the total row denominator (i.e. sum A and B but not C)?

tell me the rationale for excluding C from the percentage calculation. To me that feels like misrepresenting the facts.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lbendlin   what i am showing is a small part of a larger report.  The idea is that there are groups (50-100).  Each group has a set number of accounts that is going through a process (5-10 stages in the process).  we want to track each groups success in each phase and the overall success.  Each group is at a different phase of the process.  so in the example i provided a blank cell doesn't represent no usage, ino usages means that the group has not yet started that phase of the process, therefore we don't want to calculate those accounts (i.e. the denominator) in the total success rate.  if we did, the phase % success would be artifically low because of the groups/accounts we are counting.

An easier solution would be a visual filter to exclude groups like C. As you may have noticed it is rather difficult to achieve what you want with a DAX measure. (A calculated column might work)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors