Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

galbo1993
Regular Visitor

row_number over partition sql server - error and performance in PowerBi

Hello

Having a view containing this command : row_number over partition  results in timeout when executing the view from PowerBi. Its working fine if executed in SSMS. 

I got to know from a coallegue that this is due to usage of this command which is not good for PowerBi and after a test changing the view with a table, the issue dissapears. How is possible that usable of this command in sql server view an have performance issues when executed from PowerBi?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @galbo1993 ,

Generally speaking, I think most commands should be supported. What easily affects performance is the amount of data, and if you have very large data, a simple command may also cause slow queries.

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @galbo1993 ,

According to your description, your connection mode is "import", first of all, for this method, you need to know that it will import the data into power bi desktop. It means the data will be loaded into power bi desktop from data source and will consume memory and disk space. Then upon load, all of the data defined by those queries will be imported into the Power BI cache. Upon building a visual within Power BI Desktop, the imported data will be queried. Therefore, if your query is complex and involves a large amount of data, it may cause a slow query and thus timeout failure for power bi desktop.

So maybe your command are too complex so that it causes timing out and failing.

If you want to get a clear picture of what's going wrong, I suggest you click “performance analyzer” , it can help you identify visuals that are impacting the performance of your reports, and identify the reason for the impact.

vmengzhumsft_0-1657705081112.png

Use Performance Analyzer to examine report element performance in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Micr...

Or you can use “Diagnostic options”, it can help you achieve a better understanding of what Power Query is doing at authoring and at refresh time in Power BI Desktop.

vmengzhumsft_1-1657705081116.png

Query Diagnostics - Power Query | Microsoft Docs

The above ways all can help you to check if it is a performance issues.

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Thankyou so much for nice response. But do you know anything specific for the mentioned command regarding more performance issues onPowerBi?

Hi @galbo1993 ,

Generally speaking, I think most commands should be supported. What easily affects performance is the amount of data, and if you have very large data, a simple command may also cause slow queries.

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@galbo1993 , In can direct query it can impact the visuals display time.

In case of import mode, if can only slow download time and the visual display time

Thanks, I dont understand what do you mean, can you please describe more?

BTW, I found out its "Import"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors