Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cfosund
Helper I
Helper I

how to work with two fact tables?

Hi, 

I need some help to understand how I should work with two fact tables that does not have all the dimensions in each fact table. 

I have uploaded an example pbix so you can easily try it out.

Link to pbix:

https://ingraphic-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/christian_fosund_ingraphic_no/EVhFayxBJoZHqa7Mu9G...

cfosund_0-1612944725179.png

I want to calculate the total salery amount based on days worked and the daily salery. 

The model should also allow me to filter by location, salery type and month.

The issue I meet is that I don't have the location in the days worked table. I only know how many days they have worked. So when create a table it will not filter out Lisa who has not worked at Building 1. What is the best way of solving this?

Is it possible to create a measure that allows me to calculate the totalt salery correctly or maybe create one fact table with the days worked, and still be able to filter by location and salery type?

cfosund_1-1612944069099.png

the wanted output in the example shold be: 

Namedaily salerydays workedSallery total

Christian1700,952339121,85
Scot1882,452750826,15
Total3583,450179170

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

In additions I implemented the solution for you. Below the calculated table (first disconnect Days and then calculate table!)

extraTable = 
VAR __cartesian = ALL(Salery[EMP Number],Salery[Month], Salery[Location])
VAR __tableWithAllocatedDays = 
ADDCOLUMNS(
    __cartesian,
    "@AllocatedDays",
    DIVIDE(
        SUMX(FILTER(Salery, Salery[EMP Number] = EARLIER(Salery[EMP Number]) && Salery[Month] = EARLIER(Salery[Month]) && Salery[Location] = EARLIER(Salery[Location])), Salery[Daily salery]),
        SUMX(FILTER(Salery, Salery[EMP Number] = EARLIER(Salery[EMP Number]) && Salery[Month] = EARLIER(Salery[Month])), Salery[Daily salery])
    ) *
    SUMX(FILTER('Days at work', 'Days at work'[Emp Number] = EARLIER(Salery[EMP Number]) && 'Days at work'[Month] = EARLIER(Salery[Month])),'Days at work'[Days])
)

RETURN
__tableWithAllocatedDays

Giving this visual:
Picture1.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
JW_van_Holst
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Allocate the Days to a location on basis of the weighted average of Daily Salary per Location. So EMP number 1 will have the Days allocated for 99.9% to location 1 and for 0.1% to location 2.
Make a new table with these allocations, disconnect the old Days table and connect the new one to the dimension tables (including Locations).

Good luck!

In additions I implemented the solution for you. Below the calculated table (first disconnect Days and then calculate table!)

extraTable = 
VAR __cartesian = ALL(Salery[EMP Number],Salery[Month], Salery[Location])
VAR __tableWithAllocatedDays = 
ADDCOLUMNS(
    __cartesian,
    "@AllocatedDays",
    DIVIDE(
        SUMX(FILTER(Salery, Salery[EMP Number] = EARLIER(Salery[EMP Number]) && Salery[Month] = EARLIER(Salery[Month]) && Salery[Location] = EARLIER(Salery[Location])), Salery[Daily salery]),
        SUMX(FILTER(Salery, Salery[EMP Number] = EARLIER(Salery[EMP Number]) && Salery[Month] = EARLIER(Salery[Month])), Salery[Daily salery])
    ) *
    SUMX(FILTER('Days at work', 'Days at work'[Emp Number] = EARLIER(Salery[EMP Number]) && 'Days at work'[Month] = EARLIER(Salery[Month])),'Days at work'[Days])
)

RETURN
__tableWithAllocatedDays

Giving this visual:
Picture1.png

Thanks you so much! You saved my week and I learned alot 🤩

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors