Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

UrAvgWally
Helper I
Helper I

how to Sum between two columns dynamically

Hi all,

I was trying to figure out a measure which will be able to sum between two columns which are variable.

For example I have a report which columns are Period 1, Period 2, Period 3, Period 4.....Period 13.

I want to be able to sum between 2 variable columns.

For example if my current period is say Period 5,

I want to be able to add columns between Period 3 to Period 5.

And next period if I am in Period 6,

I would want to add between period 3 to Period 6.

I would like to change the benchmark period (Period 3 in the example) and current period dynamically.

Is it possible?

Like if user input somehow what the current period is and benchmark period.

Any help would be appreciated greatly 🙂

4 REPLIES 4
UrAvgWally
Helper I
Helper I

Hiya @tamerj1 !
Thank you for your time!
I unpivoted those periods, but it makes columns like COWD repeat itself. Which will make my other calculations harder. For example I planned on doing sum(Cowd)-sum(Forecast) to get variances. But since this duplicates the figures, would not be able to do so easily. Is there a way to unpivot to a seperate query just that extract?Also after unpivoting , what steps should be used to get my desired output of adding between two variable periods :)?

tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @UrAvgWally 
Yes possible but depends on the your model, existing relationships, current filter context. I can only guess that you have a matrix visual were you have the periods on the row or on the columns and a measure (or summarized column) in the values. I don't know if they belong to the same table? If you have a Date table? Any relationships? Any of my assumptions is correct?

Hiya! The above column's are in a raw data file, no filters or existing relationships. I will try explaining my dataset. 

SUm Extract.png
So I want to create a table which one column is the Funder and the other would be the sum , sum being COWD project to date + Period 3 + Period 4 + Period 5. I would like to have an Option to determine what the current period is , and what the base line period is and sum everything in between. So hypothetically if I am in Period 5 atm, I want to be able to sum Period 4 and Period 5. .. If I am in Period 8 and I chose my baseline period to be Period 6, I want to be able to add Period 7 and Period 8 and Cowd Project to date.

So it would be nbice to be able to chose my current period and baseline period and add dynamically like that.

Hi @UrAvgWally 
In order to do that the periods have to attributes in a one column [Period]. In order to do that you need to unpivot all the period columns using power query. It is a one click operation >> select the columns that need to be unpivoted, right click and select "Unpivot columns". But PLEASE BECAREFUL if you have large data, your file might crash. So please before doing anything PLEASE KEEP A BACKUP copy of your file. Once you do that, please let me know in order to guide you through the next steps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors