Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BenCardineau
Helper I
Helper I

dynamic title using calculation group

Hi Folks.

using the awesome Tabular Editor, I created a calculation group to format values in $ or Hours depending the selectedvalue of a drop down. That works fine with my values. The problem is the title of my visual is also dynamic ("Project Hours" or "Project $"), but as soon as I introduce the value formating in the visual, my title turns into an ugly "$#,##0" or "#,##0h" instead of the string expression. I tried to avoid the formating of the text measure following the Great Marco Russo's article here, with selectedvalueformatstring() expression, but then the title just doesn't show up at all... 😞

Any idea on how to bypass the formatting for dynamic text measures?

Thx a lot,

Ben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Daryl-Lynch-Bzy
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi, @BenCardineau -
Are you trying to use a Measure to define the Title Text?  If so, when you define the text string measure, you need to exclude it from your Calculation Group rules.  I think you need to add a ISSELECTEDMEASURE() condition to your calculation groups so it focus on the Metric Measures only, and ignores String Measures.

For example:
Metric Measure = SUM ( [Amount] )
Text Measure = IF ( SELECTEDVALUE ( [Project Type] , "Hours" ) = "Dollar" , "Project $", "Project Hours")

In the calculation group expression, the following is required.
IF ( NOT( ISSELECTEDMEASURE( [Mertric Measure] ) ), SELECTEDMEASURE() , IF ( SELECTEDVALUE ( [Project Type] , "Hours" ) , Use Dollars , Use Hours ) )

In the Expression Format, the following is added.

IF ( NOT( ISSELECTEDMEASURE( [Mertric Measure] ) ), "" , IF ( SELECTEDVALUE ( [Project Type] , "Hours" ) , Use Dollars format , Use Hours format ) )

I hope this helps you find the right solution.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
JNordentoft
Frequent Visitor

Hi Ben, 

I am facing a similar problem, did the solution work for you? Or how did you fix this? 🙂 

Hope you can help, as i am really stuck here 😞

BenCardineau
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @Daryl-Lynch-Bzy thx for your inputs! Yes, that's in essence what I had done... I replicated it in a brand new file (with exact same code as in the initial file), where it worked ok. After scratching my head around this for some time, I believe it's due to the fact that my initial file has RLS, and some roles in RLS do filter the 'Selection' field ("hours" or "$")... Do that make sense to you, that RLS may affect like this, even in desktop?

Anyway, thx again for your help!!

Ben

Daryl-Lynch-Bzy
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi, @BenCardineau -
Are you trying to use a Measure to define the Title Text?  If so, when you define the text string measure, you need to exclude it from your Calculation Group rules.  I think you need to add a ISSELECTEDMEASURE() condition to your calculation groups so it focus on the Metric Measures only, and ignores String Measures.

For example:
Metric Measure = SUM ( [Amount] )
Text Measure = IF ( SELECTEDVALUE ( [Project Type] , "Hours" ) = "Dollar" , "Project $", "Project Hours")

In the calculation group expression, the following is required.
IF ( NOT( ISSELECTEDMEASURE( [Mertric Measure] ) ), SELECTEDMEASURE() , IF ( SELECTEDVALUE ( [Project Type] , "Hours" ) , Use Dollars , Use Hours ) )

In the Expression Format, the following is added.

IF ( NOT( ISSELECTEDMEASURE( [Mertric Measure] ) ), "" , IF ( SELECTEDVALUE ( [Project Type] , "Hours" ) , Use Dollars format , Use Hours format ) )

I hope this helps you find the right solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors