Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

comparing multiple values in two columns and displaying unique and matching values

Hey everyone,

I have two columns of ids that are from two different reports, I know for sure that there are more values in one column than the other but I want to know which are the Ids that aren't present in the other column and which ones are present.(I  have thousands of these ids I want to compare, is there a query that can compare all the values one by one from both columns and match and provide an output)? 

Data example:

Column1                                                                            

Column2

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

For the ones present in the first but not on the second column, create a new, one-column  calculated table:

NewTable =
EXCEPT ( DISTINCT ( Table1[Coulmn1] ), DISTINCT ( Table2[Coulmn2] ) )

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving kudos if posts are helpful.

Cheers  Datanaut

View solution in original post

@Anonymous 

The unique values are from the first table in the EXCEPT( )

EXCEPT(Table1, Table2 ) gives you the values that are present in Table1 but not present in Table2. You can simply do 

EXCEPT(Table2, Table1 ) if you want the values present in Table2 but not present in Table1

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving kudos if posts are helpful.

Cheers  Datanaut

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

For the ones present in the first but not on the second column, create a new, one-column  calculated table:

NewTable =
EXCEPT ( DISTINCT ( Table1[Coulmn1] ), DISTINCT ( Table2[Coulmn2] ) )

Cheers  Datanaut

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey thank you for your prompt response, I have already tried that but it shows "A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected". Thoughts?

You've probably done something differently. Change the name of Column2 in table 2 to Column 1. Both columns in the expect should have the same name. From what I see there are no numbers in Table 2 present in Table1 in your example

See it all at work in the attached file.

Cheers  Datanaut

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AlB Thank you for the attached file, It worked, the only issue now is that I do not know if the unique values are from table 1 or table 2, hopefully that works when I sync the slicers from those tables.Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Shlok Shah

@Anonymous 

The unique values are from the first table in the EXCEPT( )

EXCEPT(Table1, Table2 ) gives you the values that are present in Table1 but not present in Table2. You can simply do 

EXCEPT(Table2, Table1 ) if you want the values present in Table2 but not present in Table1

Cheers  Datanaut

Anonymous
Not applicable

The above post column 1 & column 2 were just sample data, I have column values mathcing other column values. I tried changing the names to same names but it did not work either. 

Can one of the reason be that because lets say a value is in row 1 in column 1 and the value matching that value in column 2 is in row 223, could that be the reason? or does the formula check iteratively for all the values if they are matching or not?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors