Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

power_user_123
Frequent Visitor

compare columns in two different tables

Hello,

I need to implement SQL queries in Power BI as our's is a migration project. There are so many join conditions in the SQL. What I am doing is, pulling all the required columns from all the tables involved in to table visual and then applying these joining conditions as filters.

1. Is my approach correct or any other suggestions?

2. Need to compare price in one table with price in another table and filter rows only having no same price. Which DAX formula can I use to acheive this.

3. Need to check pricing date in table A is between start date and end date in table B and filter only those rows. How can I achieve this.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
daXtreme
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @power_user_123 

In Power BI there's a mashup engine. It's called Power Query. This lets you pull data, however messy, from any source and massage it into a form that Power BI wants to work with (think: star schema). So, it's not DAX's job to massage data but Power Query. Please therefore use the right tool for the job. DAX is an analytical engine, not mashup.

By the way, SQL is for querying data in (mostly) normalized form. Star schema is what semantic models like: denormalized form. So, please pull data from your SQL source and make it into a denormalized form, dimensions and fact tables.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors