Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SadStatue
Helper II
Helper II

Visualising based on two level of calculation

Hi All,

I have fact table as below:

PersonLocationDate
Aa1/01/2020
Ab2/01/2020
Ac2/02/2020
Ad3/02/2020
Da1/01/2020
Ba2/01/2020
Bb2/02/2020
Cc3/02/2020
Cd4/02/2020

We have 4 person who works in different locations I need to calculate the number of locations they are working in dynamicaly (as I need to put a date slicer)

personnumber of locations
A4
B2
C2
D1

But what I want to visualize as the final step is the frequency of the number of locations as below:

Loc frequency.PNG

All in a dynamic manner so I can put a date Slicer

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@SadStatue - OK, starting to get to the heart of this issue now. You, my friend, will need a disconnected table. It's the only way that I know of to do what you want to do. In general, to use a measure in that way, you need to use the Disconnected Table Trick as this article demonstrates: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Solving-Attendance-with-the-Disconnected-Table-Trick...

Basically, you need a disconnected table to be your axis and then your measure forms the relationship between the disconnected tables. It's a bit of a mind bender to wrap your head around the first time but once you get it, it will be second nature...famous last words.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@SadStatue - What is the x-axis in your graph represent? Is that the location (a b c d)?

Latest book!:

It is the second column of the second table "Number of location". it shows that a person is took part in how many location.
I hope I could describe it!

@SadStatue - OK, I have mocked this up, seems to work. Requires a bi-directional relationship. Still not sure if it is what you are looking for. See attached PBIX file, you want Page 38, Table (38) and Table (38a).

@ me in your response.

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler- Thanks for your work on this issue.

The second table (38a) is not a static table it is calculated from the fact table. so when I choose 1/1/2020 on the slicer there should be 2 person in 1 (in X axis) not 1 person in 1, and 1 in 4.
what I want is to calculate 38a[number of locations] based on the date range is selected in slicer. and visualize it in such a graph.

Cheers

@SadStatue - OK, starting to get to the heart of this issue now. You, my friend, will need a disconnected table. It's the only way that I know of to do what you want to do. In general, to use a measure in that way, you need to use the Disconnected Table Trick as this article demonstrates: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Solving-Attendance-with-the-Disconnected-Table-Trick...

Basically, you need a disconnected table to be your axis and then your measure forms the relationship between the disconnected tables. It's a bit of a mind bender to wrap your head around the first time but once you get it, it will be second nature...famous last words.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors