Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using sumx to create filter on the lowest level that works on a aggregated level

Hi all!

I am trying to design a filter via DAX that on the loweset level (transaction) is doing a search for a substring within a columns stringvalue. I need to do this as a measure, and not a calculated column since the Substring is a variable that is selected in the report, hence it cannot be a computed column.

I have come up with the solution below.

• For every row, search for Substring in ConcatenatedListofCars.
  • If Substring is found, return a 1, otherwise return a 0.
  • SUMX to sum all rows up.
  • Use Myfilter=1 as filter in PBI.

This approach works very well when it comes to a reports that shows data on transaction level.

However, it does not always work in a report that is showing data on a aggregated level.
That is propably due to the fact that I am using FIRSTNONBLANK on ConcatenatedListOfCars and therefor, depending on the reports design (and aggregationlevels), sometimes gets the wrong ConcatenatedListOfCars. I always want to compare the Substring to the current row ConcatenatedListOfCars.

Any ideas or hints on this one?
BR:
// Michael

Example DAX:

Myfilter:=

Var Substring = "Volvo"

Var Result =

IF (

SUMX (

'FactTable';

SEARCH(Substring;CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK(VALUES('FactTable'[ConcatenatedListOfCars]);1) );;0)

)

> 0;

1;

)

Return Result

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors