Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

arhomberg
Helper I
Helper I

Using Results of a Measure to Limit another Measure

Hey everyone,

I am working to see if its possible to use the result of one calculation in the filter of another?

My end goal is to calculate year over year retention rates by calculating the revenue from a year ago, and of that revenue form a year ago, how much of it (maybe more) exists today.

I currently have this measure that I can use to calculate last years revenue.

arhomberg_0-1661972323988.png

I am finding the sum of the transaction value over the filtered period of time, in this cause the month of a year ago.

Is there a way to use the results of the above measure (so if I apply it to a customer by customer basis), to see how each exists today?

My idea looked something like this:

arhomberg_1-1661972323992.png

Basically, filter the new (current) measure to ensure that it is only calculating for those that were present in last year’s calculation.

Any guidance with this would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Regards,

Alex

2 REPLIES 2
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @arhomberg ,

The first measure returns a single numeric value, if you want use it in second measure, you should use "=" instead of "IN".

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Hello @v-jayw-msft ,

Is it possible in DAX to have a measure return a value set? In this case, have the SUM MRR LY measure return a vector/list of a field where the filter applies for the variable. For each month, I want to get a list of the customers that had active transactions a year ago, and the essentiall do a right join to these customers in the SUM MRR TY measures filter.

Thanks,

Alex

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors