Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shhirji
Employee
Employee

Use time based data to create new column measure

Hi, 

A brief intro to my data set. I am monitoring the health of several devices. A message is sent to the database every 5 mins if the device is working, if it is not, a message is not sent. 

In powerBI, I have 2 tables, 1 pulls in data from the past 30 days and the other pulls data from the past 1 hour. Based on the last hour message, I want to add a new column measure to table 1. I want to determined the value of this column based on this logic: if a message was seen from a device in the past 1 hour ( from table 2), then value of new column is healthy. If message was not seen from the device, I want to mark the last most instance of that device on table 1 as unhealthy -- sort of like a "last seen" concept, for when the nodes was last seen to be working. 

So far, when I tried to do this, if a device was unhealthy, the DAX would be marking ALL of the past entries of this device as unhealthy. However, to make my dashboard useful, I want to preserve historic data of the devices so I can observe the changes over the 30 day period per device. 

Another approach I tried, was to mark a device as healthy/unhealthy directly while pulling the past 1 hour data set from my DB, however, I was not able to use this table to mark the past 30 days table. Basically, I was hoping to implement this kind of logic: if device is marked unhealthy in past one hour, add "row" to past 30 days data, at time X and value in new column as unhealthy. Or another approach would be to mark its last most message as unhealthy, if adding a new row isn't possible

1 REPLY 1
Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @shhirji 

Can you provide a sample of your tables + outcome + the relationship between the tables

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors