Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Use of CALENDAR() as a table variable

Here's the scenario:  Given a row in a table ("Intervention) with a set of two datetime columns ("Start" and "End")  I want to compute the difference between the two timestamps excluding certain days in between (let's say saturday and sunday).

First approach would be to create a table variable with a calendar of these two dates

Difference =
var db = CALENDAR(Intervention[Start],Intervention[End])

That seems to work as I get a proper row count from that when using test timestamps - it is including both the start and end days.

According to the documentation the above should result in a single column table with a column "Date".

However, any subsequent attempts to use that table (apart from a standalone COUNTROWS)  fails.
return COUNTROWS(db)  works but for example 

var we = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(db),WEEKDAY(db[Date],2)>5)

fails to find the table 'db'. Any idea what might be going on here?

Update: ADDCOLUMNS() works. But why?
var we = ADDCOLUMNS(CALENDAR(Intervention[Start],Intervention[End]),"WE",if(WEEKDAY([Date],2)>5,1,0))

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@lbendlin You can't use CALCULATE with virtual tables. It is the main reason I do not use CALCULATE very often:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/CALCUHATE-Why-I-Don-t-Use-DAX-s-CALCULATE-Function/b...

You will want to use SUMX, AVERAGEX, MAXX, etc.

And, for what you are originally doing, you could just use ([End] - [Start]) * 1. or DATEDIFF

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@lbendlin 

Agree with @Greg_Deckler's points and the explanations.

@lbendlin 

So in your case below approach should working, interested to know how you approached it.

Difference = 
var db = CALENDAR(Intervention[Start],Intervention[End])
return
SUMX(db,IF( WEEKDAY([Date],2) > 5, 1,0))

Notice the RED highlighting, it's still valid though.

Fowmy_0-1600461454736.png

If my answer was helpful, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it

Click on the Thumbs-Up icon if you like this reply 🙂

YouTube  LinkedIn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

@Fowmy 

Yes, that was one of the options I eventually presented to the OP

Difference = DATEDIFF(Intervention[Start],Intervention[End],MINUTE)-1440*sumx(CALENDAR(Intervention[Start],Intervention[End]),if(WEEKDAY([Date],2)>5,1,0))

I first tried to use COUNTAX  but that doesn't seem to work well with binary values

Difference = DATEDIFF(Intervention[Start],Intervention[End],MINUTE)-1440*COUNTAX(CALENDAR(Intervention[Start],Intervention[End]),WEEKDAY([Date],2)>5)

won't actually give the expected result.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@lbendlin You can't use CALCULATE with virtual tables. It is the main reason I do not use CALCULATE very often:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/CALCUHATE-Why-I-Don-t-Use-DAX-s-CALCULATE-Function/b...

You will want to use SUMX, AVERAGEX, MAXX, etc.

And, for what you are originally doing, you could just use ([End] - [Start]) * 1. or DATEDIFF

Latest book!:

Thank you. As i mentioned in my update ADDCOLUMNS works too, even though the DAX intellisense complains passive-aggressively.

@lbendlin Yeah, if you look at most of my DAX in things like the Quick Measures Gallery, I use tons of virtual tables. Everything in DAX pretty much works with virtual tables except CALCULATE and a few other functions that require physical tables like MAX, MIN, etc. so you have to use the equivalents MAXX, MINX, etc. But yeah, ADDCOLUMNS works great, I use ADDCOLUMNS with virtual tables a ton!

Latest book!:

I think the iffy part is that you need to know the column names that some of these virtual tables generate. Sometimes it seems to be [Value] but in the CALENDAR() example it is [Date]  etc.  Would be nice if DAX could address table columns by number.

@lbendlin Yeah, it's always Value except for the Calendar. Intellisense/type ahead does work for these virtual tables. If I am not mistaken I believe: { (4, 5, 6), (7, 8, 9) } creaes Value1, Value2, Value3 columns but if just a single column gets created it is always Value unless it is from a Calendar function. If you create a table from a physical table, 

VAR __Table = 'Table'

The names of the columns are the same as in the physical table. For most other ways of creating virtual tables or adding columns you explicitly name them.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors