Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

E__
Helper III
Helper III

Use member of a calculation group to calculate a new member (e.g., YTD and YTD previous year)

Hi,

I've been experimenting with calculation groups, and I was wondering wether it is possible to use a member of a calculation group to calculate a new member. For example, when calculating YTD and YTD previous year (PY), I normally would use the following formulas:

Sales YTD = TOTALYTD(Sum('Sales'[Revenue]),'Date'[Date])

Sales LY YTD = CALCULATE ([Sales YTD], SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR ('Date'[Date]))

But I'm not sure how to use the same logic when using calculation groups. Is there a way to reference a member of a calculation group (in this case, YTD) when calculating a new member (YTD PY)? 

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Eva

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@E__ , Make sure Date/calendar table is marked as "Date" Table. Tight click on the table in Field pane, there is an option mark as date table

You can also try these options

YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD('Date'[Date],"12/31"))
Last YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year),"12/31"))
This year Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(ENDOFYEAR('Date'[Date]),"12/31"))
Last year Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(ENDOFYEAR(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year)),"12/31"))
Last to last YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-2,Year),"12/31"))
Year behind Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year))

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculations groups are a tricky subject and you should be very advanced in DAX to touch it. Yes, you can use members of some groups in calculation members of other groups but you have to be VERY CAREFUL and test thoroughly (you need more testing than usual). You also have to have a clear understanding of what calculation group precedence is and how to properly manage it. If you start mixing members within members you'll be creating a lot of complexity and calculation overhead. After some time you'll be lost. Please read the articles about calculation groups on www.sqlbi.com to know what you're trying to tame. It's a BEAST.

Best
D

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculations groups are a tricky subject and you should be very advanced in DAX to touch it. Yes, you can use members of some groups in calculation members of other groups but you have to be VERY CAREFUL and test thoroughly (you need more testing than usual). You also have to have a clear understanding of what calculation group precedence is and how to properly manage it. If you start mixing members within members you'll be creating a lot of complexity and calculation overhead. After some time you'll be lost. Please read the articles about calculation groups on www.sqlbi.com to know what you're trying to tame. It's a BEAST.

Best
D

Thanks for the advice. I've now put more time into understanding calculation groups, and followed SQLBI's "Mastering DAX video course" on calculation groups as well. As you suggested, I won't use recursion. I find it strange that the Microsoft documentation on calculation groups (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/analysis-services/tabular-models/calculation-groups?view=asallprodu...) (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/analysis-services/tabular-models/calculation-groups?view=asallprod...) simply mentions that you can use sideways recursion without mentioning any of the "dangers".

Best,

Eva

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@E__ , Make sure Date/calendar table is marked as "Date" Table. Tight click on the table in Field pane, there is an option mark as date table

You can also try these options

YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD('Date'[Date],"12/31"))
Last YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year),"12/31"))
This year Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(ENDOFYEAR('Date'[Date]),"12/31"))
Last year Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(ENDOFYEAR(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year)),"12/31"))
Last to last YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-2,Year),"12/31"))
Year behind Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors