Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

UK PostCode to Area Code

Hi,

I would like to break down the UK postcode into an area code. For example, SE27 9HR to SE27. 

I found a solution for a DAX command to return the first 2 characters (in this case SE) but I'd like the number as well. This was the solution: 

POSTCODEnew =
IF (
    RIGHT ( LEFT ( 'UK Post Code'[POSTCODEold], 2 ), 1 )
        IN { "0", "1", "2", "3", "4", "5", "6", "7", "8", "9" },
    LEFT ( 'UK Post Code'[POSTCODEold], 1 ),
    LEFT ( 'UK Post Code'[POSTCODEold], 2 )
)

Also, some postcodes have 3 characters at the start instead of 4 e.g. E14 0RW. So is there a DAX command to return whatever is in front of the break between the 2 sets of characters. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
goncalogeraldes
Super User
Super User

Hello there @Anonymous ! Wouldn't it be easier for you to do this in Power Query Editor with either the "split column" function or the "extract" function? 

goncalogeraldes_0-1630944938049.png

Alternatively, you can also try this!

ColumnB = 
Var FirstSpace = FIND(" ";'UK Post Code'[POSTCODEold]) 
Return 
LEFT('UK Post Code'[POSTCODEold]; LEN('UK Post Code'[POSTCODEold]) - FirstSpace)

Hope this answer solves your problem! If you need any additional help please tag me in your reply.
If my reply provided you with a solution, pleased mark it as a solution ✔️ or give it a kudoe 👍
Thanks!

Best regards,
Gonçalo Geraldes 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
goncalogeraldes
Super User
Super User

Hello there @Anonymous ! Wouldn't it be easier for you to do this in Power Query Editor with either the "split column" function or the "extract" function? 

goncalogeraldes_0-1630944938049.png

Alternatively, you can also try this!

ColumnB = 
Var FirstSpace = FIND(" ";'UK Post Code'[POSTCODEold]) 
Return 
LEFT('UK Post Code'[POSTCODEold]; LEN('UK Post Code'[POSTCODEold]) - FirstSpace)

Hope this answer solves your problem! If you need any additional help please tag me in your reply.
If my reply provided you with a solution, pleased mark it as a solution ✔️ or give it a kudoe 👍
Thanks!

Best regards,
Gonçalo Geraldes 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors