Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

troyhimes
Resolver I
Resolver I

Total Calculation based on Total/Day for given Month

Can't seem to work this one out....

I have a table that has budget amount per day for a given month with a date value in the format month/1/year per Area.  Data below is for 'Area 1'

troyhimes_6-1645405619445.png

Using the per/day rate I'd like to calculate the total budget across any time period broken out by Area.  The measure below of course works for a single month across any Area, but understandably as soon as I filter across multiple months it fails.

troyhimes_7-1645405716662.png

The correct value should be 16124.58=(503.23 * 31 days in Jan.) + (524.45 * 1 day in Feb).

How do I accomplish this?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@troyhimes 
I Plead guilty 🙂
You are absolutely right. I overlooked the data and did not pay enough attention. I did not notice that the Tons/Day values are only in the first day while in other days are blank which is actually your original problem. 
Please refer to updated file with the solution https://www.dropbox.com/t/RYcaBXfL2RcdQd5S
The code is little long. I know it can be shorter and more simple by using GENERATE function but I personally still did not learn how to use it properly. Also can be solved by adding a new calculated column. Pretty sure other methods are available out there. However this one seems to work
1.png

MMP_Tons = 
VAR Table1 = 
    SUMMARIZE (
        Actuals_and_MonthlyPlans,
        Actuals_and_MonthlyPlans[Area],
        'Calendar'[YYMM],
        "@Tons", SUM ( Actuals_and_MonthlyPlans[MMP_Tons/Day])
    )
VAR Table2 =
    SELECTCOLUMNS ( 
        Table1,
        "@YYMM", 'Calendar'[YYMM],
        "@@Tons", [@Tons]
    )
VAR Table3 =
    CROSSJOIN ( 'Calendar', Table2 )
VAR Table4 =
    FILTER ( Table3, [YYMM] = [@YYMM] )
VAR Result =
    SUMX ( Table4, [@@Tons] ) 
RETURN
    Result

Please let me know if this solves your problem. Have a nice day!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @troyhimes 
Here is your file with the solution https://www.dropbox.com/t/lZdUKnpNp5E6wAXA
It is actually simple. you just need to iterate over the table with right granularity which is in this case, the 'Calendar' table

MMP_Tons = 
VAR SumMMPTonDay =
    SUM (Actuals_and_MonthlyPlans[MMP_Tons/Day] )
VAR Result =
    SUMX (
        'Calendar',
        SumMMPTonDay 
    ) 
RETURN
    Result

Please let me know if this answers you query. Thank you

Hi @tamerj1 ,

Thanks for your attempt, but it looks like this yields the same result as my original measure....

Examples: 

1. Date Filter=1/1/22 to 1/31/22, MMP_Tons/Day = 503.23, MMP_Tons = 15,600.01 (503.23 *31) CORRECT

2. Date Filter=2/1/22 to 2/28/22, MMP_Tons/Day = 524.45, MMP_Tons = 14,684.59 (524.45 * 28) CORRECT

3. Date Filter = 1/1/22 to 2/1/22, MMP_Tons = 32,885.62 (1027.68 * 32) INCORRECT

CORRECT VALUE = 16,124.58 = (503.23 * 31) + (524.45 * 1)

@troyhimes 
I Plead guilty 🙂
You are absolutely right. I overlooked the data and did not pay enough attention. I did not notice that the Tons/Day values are only in the first day while in other days are blank which is actually your original problem. 
Please refer to updated file with the solution https://www.dropbox.com/t/RYcaBXfL2RcdQd5S
The code is little long. I know it can be shorter and more simple by using GENERATE function but I personally still did not learn how to use it properly. Also can be solved by adding a new calculated column. Pretty sure other methods are available out there. However this one seems to work
1.png

MMP_Tons = 
VAR Table1 = 
    SUMMARIZE (
        Actuals_and_MonthlyPlans,
        Actuals_and_MonthlyPlans[Area],
        'Calendar'[YYMM],
        "@Tons", SUM ( Actuals_and_MonthlyPlans[MMP_Tons/Day])
    )
VAR Table2 =
    SELECTCOLUMNS ( 
        Table1,
        "@YYMM", 'Calendar'[YYMM],
        "@@Tons", [@Tons]
    )
VAR Table3 =
    CROSSJOIN ( 'Calendar', Table2 )
VAR Table4 =
    FILTER ( Table3, [YYMM] = [@YYMM] )
VAR Result =
    SUMX ( Table4, [@@Tons] ) 
RETURN
    Result

Please let me know if this solves your problem. Have a nice day!

Thanks @tamerj1 , much appreciated, that did the trick.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@troyhimes , Not very clear

Distributing/Allocating the Monthly Target(Convert to Daily Target): Measure ( Daily/MTD): https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Power-BI-Distributing-Allocating-the-Monthly-Target-...

If this does not help
Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

Distributing/Allocating the Yearly Target(Convert to Daily Target): https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Distributing-Allocating-the-Yearly-Target-Convert-to...

@amitchandak You're right, I wasn't very clear!  I forgot to include the "measure below". 

troyhimes_0-1645421678319.png

I scanned your linked post and will check it out closely in the morning.  Prior to the measure above, I've determined the value per day using a technique similar to yours, but maybe the piece that I'm missing in the measure is the 'TotalMTD' for my day count(?)

@troyhimes .
Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

because TotalMTD blog I shared. I need to try with data

@amitchandak 

PowerBI Question.pbix 

Here it is. The measure in question is 'MMP_Tons'.  The plan per day for the given month is 'MMP_Tons/Day' and the date I've associated with that plan is always the 1st of the month.  For a given time period I want to calculate the planned tons based on the plan per day.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors