Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Alex_Hasan
Helper II
Helper II

TopN dax function is not working

Hello guys, This is the problem I'm having right now while extracting Top 10 customers. You see the image, it's not showing proper value. here is my dax function.

Top 10 customers =
                CALCULATE([Total Sales],
               TOPN( 10, DimCustomer, DimCustomer[FirstName], ASC))

top.JPG
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I got the solution just now. In your coding, the  DimCustomer[FirstName]  has been mentioned two times. So I replaced one with [Total sales] and it's showing the top 10 that I wanted. 

Top 10 customers =
CALCULATE(
[Total Sales],
KEEPFILTERS(
TOPN( 10, ALLSELECTED( DimCustomer[FirstName] ), [Total sales], ASC )
)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

Top 10 customers =
CALCULATE(
    [Total Sales],
    KEEPFILTERS(
        TOPN( 10, ALLSELECTED( DimCustomer[FirstName] ), DimCustomer[FirstName], ASC )
    )
)

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

I got the solution just now. In your coding, the  DimCustomer[FirstName]  has been mentioned two times. So I replaced one with [Total sales] and it's showing the top 10 that I wanted. 

Top 10 customers =
CALCULATE(
[Total Sales],
KEEPFILTERS(
TOPN( 10, ALLSELECTED( DimCustomer[FirstName] ), [Total sales], ASC )
)

Hi @CNENFRNL , thanks for your response. I tried with your function. It is showing this - 

all sales.JPG

I think the function was supposed to show this one with top 10. 

top.JPG

Para que muestre esos valores, cambia el ASC por DESC  y solo con eso debería ser suficiente 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors