Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gustavjMC
Frequent Visitor

Time range for time column

Hello!

I'm working on a report where i want my graph to be dependent on a start and stop time from another table. 

In SQL my code would look something like this:

SELECT [Value]

,[logTime]

FROM database

WHERE logTime BETWEEN [startTime] AND [stopTime]

My code in dax for creating a calculated column looks like this (or at least, this is what I want to achieve)

Range = FILTER('Temp'[logTime], 'Temp'[logTime] > 'Wash'[startTime] AND 'Temp'[logTime] < 'Wash'[logTime])

Is there any possibility of doing this kind of calculated column where the start and stop time of the column is based on another table?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for replying!

With this COUNTX function, it only counts the rows, but i want the actual rows in a table to be returned 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@gustavjMC ,Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@gustavjMC , This should have worked as a column in 'Temp' table

Range = Countx(FILTER('Temp', 'Temp'[logTime] > 'Wash'[startTime] AND 'Temp'[logTime] < 'Wash'[logTime]), 'Temp'[logTime])

refer video for example -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czNHt7UXIe8

Thanks for replying!

With this COUNTX function, it only counts the rows, but i want the actual rows in a table to be returned 🙂

if by ' but i want the actual rows in a table to be returned' you actually mean that you want the total count of rows from the table that is returned after applying the FILTER(), then, if I am not mistaken, you need to effect a filter transition programmatically, and the only way to do this in DAX is not the FILTER() function, but CALCULATE and CALCULATETABLE.

Rather than copy/paste a whole chapter, read chapter 5 from the book: 'The Definitive Guide to DAX,' 2nd edition,  by Marco Russo and Alberto Ferrari.  It's all explained there better than I could.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors