Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Three-year Average based on only Year and Quarter Number

Hi, I all. I need help with this scenario:

All I have is Year and Quarter in my Snapshot table (Snapshot will be taken at end of each Quarter).

So now I want to run Quarterly ,Three-Year Average Reports, and Trend Reports.

I have Year, Quarter, ProductType, Store/Online Slicers.

So when user selected 2019.Q1, I need Sum and Average of 2019.Q1, 2018.Q1, and 2017.Q1 Sales.

For 2018.Q3, I need Sum and Average of 2018.Q3, 2017.Q3, and 2016.Q3 Sales.

But the problem is as soon as I select a year and Quarter, Power BI automoaticlally filters data.

I have Matrix Visual with Product Category, Total Sales, Average.

I still want to apply filters for Product Category, SalesType (Online/Store) if there is any selection.

Thank you in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I found way to start with:

Step 1: First I've created a Date column in SalesFactSnapshot table using existing columns Year and Quarter

DATE(SNASPHOT_Year,Snapshot_Quarter*3,1)

Step 2: Created a DateD_Dim table and created FK relationship to SalesFactSnapshot table.

Now I can use all the Power BI built-in Date, time-intelligence functions such as SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR,PREVIOSQUARTER.

For 3 years SalesTotal of same Quarter:

Prev3YearFilings = CALCULATE([TotalSales],FILTER(ALL(SalesFactSnapshot [YearS]),SalesFactSnapshot [YearS]>SELECTEDVALUE(SalesFactSnapshot [YearS])-2))

Year is a Slicer, I dit not mentioned because  I want same Quarter:
If user selects 2019.Q1, then I need total and Average of 2019.Q1, 2018.Q1, and 2017.Q1

Hope this helps.

please let me know if there is a better way
Anonymous
Not applicable

Show example data, please, and paste in the model layout. Best would be if you could paste a link to an example file, which is best stored on OneDrive.

Thanks.

Best
D.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Darek,

Thanks for the response. Please find attached link for data spreadsheet and pbix file.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai0GzdHCLgzPkkCWfVNW4XlZ5Rt3?e=7QePj3

- Kumar

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors