Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Summing two measures with different filter rules

Hi All, 

I would like to create a measure that outputs a sum of two other measures, however the two measures have different filter rules( one measure needs to take into account the filter , while other needs to ignore it

Here is an example : 

Measure 1 WIP Orders = CALCULATE(Counta(Orders[ID]), FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(Orders [ Order Type], Orders[order raised date] <= MAX Order Raised Dates [ Date] && Orders[completed date]> MAX( Order Raised Dates [ Date]) || ISBLANK( Orders[Completed Date]))) - No order status filter applied

Measure 2 Cancelled Orders = CALCULATE(COUNTA(Orders[ID]), ALLEXCEPT(Orders[Status]) - No date filter applied

Measure 3 Combined total = WIP Orders + Cancelled Orders  ( with Order Status filter applied at visual level)

If I use measures 1 & 2 individually they are showing correct output, however in the measure 3 Order status filter seems to be applied to both measures is there a way to only apply order status filter to 1 measure when suming two ? 

I'm using live connection therefore cannot add any calculated columns.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous 

Sorry I hadn't tested the measure before posting it. Please try the new one bellow. I created a relationship between 'Orders'[order raised date] and 'Order Raised Dates'[Date]. Also, the testing column [Group] can filter Measure 1. You can download the attachment to see details. 

Measure 1 = 
VAR __maxOrderRaisedDate = MAX ( 'Order Raised Dates'[Date] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        COUNTA ( Orders[ID] ),
        ALL ( Orders[Status] ),
        ALL ( 'Order Raised Dates'[Date] ),
        Orders[order raised date] <= __maxOrderRaisedDate,
        Orders[completed date] > __maxOrderRaisedDate || ISBLANK ( Orders[Completed Date] )
    )

21121604.jpg

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Try avoid using ALLEXCEPT within FILTER function. Instead, you could try a mode like

WIP Orders =
VAR __maxOrderRaisedDate =
    MAX ( 'Order Raised Dates'[ Date] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        COUNTA ( Orders[ID] ),
        ALLEXCEPT ( Orders, Orders[ Order Type], Orders[xxxx] ),
        ( Orders[order raised date] <= __maxOrderRaisedDate
            && Orders[completed date] > __maxOrderRaisedDate )
            || ISBLANK ( Orders[Completed Date] )
    )

I feel it difficult explaining the reason. You may refer to this thread (Filter and Allexcept) for a better explanation. 

Best Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @v-jingzhang  I tried to tweak the formula but i am now getting error message : "The expression contains multiple columns, but only a single column can be used in a True/False expression that is used as a table filter expression."  I read that including related statement might solve the problem however not sure where it would need to go given that I am using a variable ? 

Hi @Anonymous 

Sorry I hadn't tested the measure before posting it. Please try the new one bellow. I created a relationship between 'Orders'[order raised date] and 'Order Raised Dates'[Date]. Also, the testing column [Group] can filter Measure 1. You can download the attachment to see details. 

Measure 1 = 
VAR __maxOrderRaisedDate = MAX ( 'Order Raised Dates'[Date] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        COUNTA ( Orders[ID] ),
        ALL ( Orders[Status] ),
        ALL ( 'Order Raised Dates'[Date] ),
        Orders[order raised date] <= __maxOrderRaisedDate,
        Orders[completed date] > __maxOrderRaisedDate || ISBLANK ( Orders[Completed Date] )
    )

21121604.jpg

Best Regards,

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Some logic correction is required in 1st formula

example

CALCULATE(Counta(Orders[ID]), FILTER(allselected(Orders), [Order Type] = max([Order Type]) && Orders[order raised date] <= max(Orders[order raised date]) && ( Orders[completed date]> MAX( Order Raised Dates [ Date]) || ISBLANK( Orders[Completed Date])) ) )

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @amitchandak  would you be able to explain the change ? As I have a few other columns that are included in Allexcept section of the measure which I kept it out for simplicity. When I tried to replace ALLEXCEPT with ALLSELECTED I am getting errors also why does MAX order type  need to be specified ? 

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors