Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ecan20
Frequent Visitor

Sum values until the first maximum value in another column per each category in another column

Hello DAX experts, 

I have a dataset like the table below.

I am looking for a DAX formula to return the sum of the values in DAY column until the values in DEPTH column reach the first maximum value, per each category listed in JOB column.

The desired result for job A for example would be 9 days = sum of days to reach the maximum DEPTH (500 in this case).

The job A takes 13 days in total, but I only want the days until the maximum depth is reached.

Thanks to anyone that will try to help!

JOBDAYDEPTH
A1100
A1150
A1200
A1300
A1300
A1300
A1400
A1400
A1500
A1500
A1500
A1500
A1500
B150
B150
B1100
B1200
B1300
B1350
B1400
B1550
B1550
B1550
B1550
B1550
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Amedeo, 

I modified it a bit and I got what I needed. Instead of the single days (second column) I used the cumulative days as input.

This formula returned the amount of days required to reach the final depth

VAR_RESULT =
CALCULATE (
MIN (Table[DAY]),FILTER(Table, Table[DEPTH] = (MAX(Table[DEPTH]))))

Many thanks for taking the time to help, much appreciated. 
Regards
Elena

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

No need to apologize @Ecan20 🙂 

Yes, that would be a single measure, in which you can define multiple variables and reference them in the same measure. I assumed you were using a fairly recent version of Power BI Desktop/Excel, in which you can define variables.

Are you using a recent version of Power BI Desktop/Excel/SQL Server Analysis Services?

I don't want to ask a stupid question either, but have you forgot to provide a name for your measure? That's the first thing I can think of.

If you miss that, you'll get an error:

AmedeoMaggini_0-1614341432610.png

With measure name instead:

AmedeoMaggini_1-1614341465697.png

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
AmedeoM
Regular Visitor

Hello,

this will return 9 for all the rows in your table (I don't know if that's the output you wanted - if it's not, please provide a demo file and a detailed explanation of what you would like the measure to compute and I'll try to fix it):

Measure :=

VAR _MaxDepth =
	CALCULATE (
		MAX ( Table[Depth] ),
		REMOVEFILTERS ( Table[Depth] )
	)

VAR _Result = 
	CALCULATE (
		SUM ( Table[Day] ),
		Table[Depth] < _MaxDepth
	)

RETURN
_Result

Please let me know if this works 🙂

Amedeo, 

I modified it a bit and I got what I needed. Instead of the single days (second column) I used the cumulative days as input.

This formula returned the amount of days required to reach the final depth

VAR_RESULT =
CALCULATE (
MIN (Table[DAY]),FILTER(Table, Table[DEPTH] = (MAX(Table[DEPTH]))))

Many thanks for taking the time to help, much appreciated. 
Regards
Elena
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Ecan20 ,

happy to know that it helped 🙂

Just be aware that usually passing a whole table as a filter to CALCULATE is not a good idea because it could negatively affect performance (and sometimes also return unpredictable results as well). Perhaps it would be better if you used:

KEEPFILTERS ( Table[DEPTH] = MAX ( Table[DEPTH] ) ) 

as a filter, insead.

Best regards,

Amedeo

Amedeo, 

thanks for this, I tried it but I am getting this error "A function MAX has been used in a True/False expression that is used as a table filter expression. This is not allowed"... any idea what I may be doing incorrectly? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, sorry, I didn't write the code explicitly because I assumed you had stored the value in a variable anyway. Please try with the following code:

Measure :=

VAR _MaxDepth =
	MAX ( Table[Depth] )

VAR _Result = 
	CALCULATE (
		MIN ( Table[DAY] ),
		KEEPFILTERS ( Table[DEPTH] = _MaxDepth ) 
	)

RETURN
_Result

And let me know if it works 🙂

Amedeo,

I apologize for my lack of knowledge here, and please do forgive me the stupid question:

is this a single Measure or should I make to separate for Max Depth and Result?

If I make 2 measures I get the error "A function MAX has been used in a True/False expression that is used as a table filter expression. This is not allowed".

If I combine them in 1 measure I get this error: "the syntax for 'VAR' is incorrect (...)

Anonymous
Not applicable

No need to apologize @Ecan20 🙂 

Yes, that would be a single measure, in which you can define multiple variables and reference them in the same measure. I assumed you were using a fairly recent version of Power BI Desktop/Excel, in which you can define variables.

Are you using a recent version of Power BI Desktop/Excel/SQL Server Analysis Services?

I don't want to ask a stupid question either, but have you forgot to provide a name for your measure? That's the first thing I can think of.

If you miss that, you'll get an error:

AmedeoMaggini_0-1614341432610.png

With measure name instead:

AmedeoMaggini_1-1614341465697.png

Amedeo you were right! I was missing the name of the measure!

I compared the result with the one I produced earlier and all matches but I will use yours as you suggested as for sure is more correct.

Again many thanks, not only for the solution but also because I learned a lot!

Kudos for you Amedeo 🙂 Have a great weekend

Anonymous
Not applicable

This task does not have a solution since you have not stated how values are ordered. Without a column that tells you the order of values, the description is meaningless.

Hi daxer, thanks for the hint. But forgive me, I am a beginner and I don't understand what you mean by "the order of the values". Which values? What would you suggest me doing? Thanks! 

DAX does not have an intrinsic notion of order. All tables in the model are unordered, just like tables in SQL. So, in order to calculate something that resembles "running totals," you have to have a column that orders rows in the table. Otherwise, the result of aggregation will be indetermined/random.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors