Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KMadsen
Regular Visitor

Sum values in column instead of calculation

Hi all,

I have an issue trying to get the sum of the values in a measure. In the below screenshot, I want to be able to get the sum of the values in the column Weighted MAE% (33.1% and not 37.8%). In the total line I only get the calculation result for the total level (51/135) and the weights of each row is not considered.

How do I create a measure or column where I can the summed total for the weighted calculation in each row? I need to be able to understand the MAE% on aggregated levels considering the weight for each row and it has to be dynamic so that if I change the slicer to exclude e.g. Region 1, then it recalculates with new weights for each row.

KMadsen_0-1663929713512.png

Hope someone an help...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

Could you please share your sample pbix file's link here? (Onedrive, googledrive, dropbox, any other...)

And then I can look into it to come up with a more accurate solution.

Or, please try the below if it is realted to two columns....

MEASURE totalfix =
    SUMX (
        SUMMARIZE ( TableName, 'TableName'[Region], 'TableName'[DG] ),
        [Weighted MAE%]
    )

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi,

I am not sure how your datamodel looks like, but please try to write a new measure like below, and put the below measure into the visualization.

MEASURE totalfix =
    SUMX ( VALUES ( 'TableName'[Region] ), [Weighted MAE%] )

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Thanks for the suggestion @Jihwan_Kim . Unfortunately, it does not yield the right result when I use the filters to select and deselect certain region or DGs. Is there a wa to make it dependent on all filters?

KMadsen_0-1663935487924.png

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

Could you please share your sample pbix file's link here? (Onedrive, googledrive, dropbox, any other...)

And then I can look into it to come up with a more accurate solution.

Or, please try the below if it is realted to two columns....

MEASURE totalfix =
    SUMX (
        SUMMARIZE ( TableName, 'TableName'[Region], 'TableName'[DG] ),
        [Weighted MAE%]
    )

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Thanks @Jihwan_Kim , the summarize did the job! And it also works on more than 2 columns in the actual data set 🙂

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@KMadsen This looks like a measure totals problem. Very common. See my post about it here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/DAX-Commands-and-Tips/Dealing-with-Measure-Totals/td-p/63376

Also, this Quick Measure, Measure Totals, The Final Word should get you what you need:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Measure-Totals-The-Final-Word/m-p/547907

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors