Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sum up the distinct counts with a filter

Hello, 

I have a table that has for each hour if any assets of ours were down.

I have the following calulation which serves my purposes : 

Hours Down = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Site_Availability_Historyz_Data[Date_Time_History]),Site_Availability_Historyz_Data[AssetPK]<>BLANK())

This gives me the all of the hours that were down at a given site regardless if there were 3 rows for a given hour even though 3 assets could have been down, and therefore 3 unique rows for 15:00 hours.

However, the total within the table is not summing the distinct counts. I know I need to use a sumx, but I have having trouble with the syntax. Can anyone help? Initally, I tried the following:

SUMX(Site_Availability_Historyz_Data,CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Site_Availability_Historyz_Data[Date_Time_History]),Site_Availability_Historyz_Data[AssetPK]<>BLANK()))

however, certain rows become inaccurate because it is essentially doubling the count of hours when there are two different assets down at a given hour.  

Any advice?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you for providing sample data.  Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but here is a SUMX measure that returns 744 as the result.  Your sample data only has 1 site value.  Does your actual data have multiple Site values?  If so, this measure will calculate the # of down hours for each site and include all in the total.

Hours Down =
SUMX (
VALUES ( 'in'[Site] ),
CALCULATE ( DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'in'[Date_Time_History] ) )
)

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Still having issues with summarize as its counting duplicates values of column A when column B is different. Would a group by work better?

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Not totally clear but the issue is probably the table in your SUMX.  Please try this pattern in your measure

NewMeasure = SUMX(VALUES(Table[Column]), CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Site_Availability_Historyz_Data[Date_Time_History]),Site_Availability_Historyz_Data[AssetPK]<>BLANK()))

Replace Table[Column] with the one used in your table visual.  If you have more than one column in your visual, you will need to replace the VALUES( ) expression with a SUMMARIZE one.  For example, SUMMARIZE(Table, Table[Column1], Table[Column2]).

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is my data and how the measure is turning out. 

FatDaddy_0-1597853869558.png

You'll see that the distinct count will get me 744, which is what I want, but the sumx measure to sum is getting me 921. 

I'll attatch July's data here https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ag08lU4J4vcXslqhttwvvNGL2vEm?e=R4KRAu 

Thank you for providing sample data.  Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but here is a SUMX measure that returns 744 as the result.  Your sample data only has 1 site value.  Does your actual data have multiple Site values?  If so, this measure will calculate the # of down hours for each site and include all in the total.

Hours Down =
SUMX (
VALUES ( 'in'[Site] ),
CALCULATE ( DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'in'[Date_Time_History] ) )
)

Regards,

Pat

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much! Can you explain to me why you used sites after values instead of date_Time_history?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors