Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Tangi12
Frequent Visitor

Sum Based on Criteria Where Line Items are grouped by Project ID and then Filter by the Sum Total

Hi!

I am a semi newbie at Power BI. Normally I can do most things in PBI desktop through queries. However, our company has switched the availability of data to us through Analysis Services. We are not allowed to import the data and Analysis Services turns off many features.  I need to create a group for Small, Medium and Flow projects. 

I have a table that gives Order ID.  The Order ID can appear multiple times in the table. I want the summarized total >=700K to be considered "Large".  Order IDs summarized at >=300K and <700K to be considered "Medium" and anything below 300K considered Flow. 

Is there a way to create a Dax formula to summarize the Order IDs and filter them by the summarized value?  I cannot create new tables and I can't modify queries due to the connection to the model, so I would have to do this through a Dax formula.

I would appreciate any help you can give! 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

[Order Tier] =
var __oneOrderVisible = HASONEVALUE( Orders[OrderId] )
var __orderTotal =
	CALCULATE(
		SUM( Order[Amount] ),
		VALUES( Orders[OrderId] ),
		ALL( Orders )
	)
var __tier =
	switch( true(),
		__orderTotal >= 700 * 1000, "Large",
		__orderTotal >= 300 * 1000, "Medium",
		"Flow"
	)
return
	IF( __oneOrderVisible, __tier )

This is a measure that for an OrderId will give you the tier the order is in. I don't fully understand the problem, so it might not be what you wanted. I just tried to imagine what you have. I assumed you've got a table Orders and in it a field called OrderId. I have no idea what other columns you might have in there. You could use this measure inline in a query and then filter by its results...

Best

D

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

[Order Tier] =
var __oneOrderVisible = HASONEVALUE( Orders[OrderId] )
var __orderTotal =
	CALCULATE(
		SUM( Order[Amount] ),
		VALUES( Orders[OrderId] ),
		ALL( Orders )
	)
var __tier =
	switch( true(),
		__orderTotal >= 700 * 1000, "Large",
		__orderTotal >= 300 * 1000, "Medium",
		"Flow"
	)
return
	IF( __oneOrderVisible, __tier )

This is a measure that for an OrderId will give you the tier the order is in. I don't fully understand the problem, so it might not be what you wanted. I just tried to imagine what you have. I assumed you've got a table Orders and in it a field called OrderId. I have no idea what other columns you might have in there. You could use this measure inline in a query and then filter by its results...

Best

D

Thank you! I will give this a try.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors