Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jmscrx
Helper I
Helper I

Stop slicer from showing a sum of monthly values?

Lots of searching and can't seem to quite find the right solution to this seemingly simple issue. Basically, I have a slicer with a list for each month to change a value in a card visual depending on the month selected (e.g., January to show only the January value, February only to show the February value, etc.). This is working fine when the value in my card is a quick measure field I create that simply calculates the percentage between 2 columns in my data (note - I added +0 below as a trick I learned here to keep the card value from showing BLANK if the percentage works out to be 0). For example.

Value1Value2

%CalculatePercentage =
DIVIDE(
SUM('TABLE1'[Value2]),
SUM('TABLE1'[Value1])
) + 0

However for another set of values I have, the data in a column is already a percentage (source data is in an Excel column calculated as a percentage). For example,

Percentage
5.6%
7.1%

When I simply drag the 'TABLE1[Percentage]' value into a card and choose January or February on the slicer, it shows the SUM of these values (12.7), vs. showing just 5.6 if I choose January or 7.1 if I choose February.

Tried several things including creating a simple measure out of this column and attempting to use the measure as the card vaule though get the same result. Any help would be appreciated. 

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@jmscrx - Difficult to say exactly but it almost sounds like you are missing a relationship?

Sorry, having trouble following, can you post sample data as text and expected output?
Not really enough information to go on, please first check if your issue is a common issue listed here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Before-You-Post-Read-This/ba-p/1116882

Also, please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

The most important parts are:
1. Sample data as text, use the table tool in the editing bar
2. Expected output from sample data
3. Explanation in words of how to get from 1. to 2.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@jmscrx - Difficult to say exactly but it almost sounds like you are missing a relationship?

Sorry, having trouble following, can you post sample data as text and expected output?
Not really enough information to go on, please first check if your issue is a common issue listed here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Before-You-Post-Read-This/ba-p/1116882

Also, please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

The most important parts are:
1. Sample data as text, use the table tool in the editing bar
2. Expected output from sample data
3. Explanation in words of how to get from 1. to 2.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks Greg. Your comments actually pointed me in the right direction and I was able to figure this out. I had copied the visual from another page and the Date values I had assigned to the slicer were actually from a different table than the one I was working in. Updated this to the correct date values and things began working as expected.

I've bookmarked the common issues link, thx.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors